Editing the HTML of Emails in Use

Anonymous
Not applicable

Editing the HTML of Emails in Use

We have recently created new email templates to better match our branding. 

Is there a way to just edit/replace the HTML of existing emails with the new HTML coding?

We have emails in engagement programs that leads are cycling through and I'm trying avoid replacing the entire email as Marketo will not recognize if a lead has been sent the original email if it's not the same.

Has anyone ever worked through a situation like this?

Thank you!

Christine

7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Editing the HTML of Emails in Use

Yes, i believe what will happen is that when you change the html template a draft will be created and you will have to approve the draft for your campaign

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Christine,

Jamie is correct. If you edit the underlying template, it will create drafts of all the individual Emails that use that template. You should preview the resulting drafts to make sure it looks as you expect. If you've deleted any "mktEditable" sections as part of your changes, then the content in those regions will be lost. If the changes are purely formatting (colors, fonts, structure, etc.), then you should be OK to just approve each one.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

To add to Justin's answer,

If you do no delete 'mktEditable' section but you change their ID, the content will be lost as well.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your feedback!  I really appreciate everyone's input.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Grégoire and Justin Cooperman​, just to be crystal clear, as I am about to apply an update on a template used by like a hundred alert emails:

If I make a change to an email template, but do not change anything with regards to the editable section, its ID, or its content, the emails will not have their content stripped, correct?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Ryan,

Yes this correct.

Just pay attention if you have multiple editable zones: each of them has an ID that needs to be maintained in the new template.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Greg. Can never be too careful here... i've been stung with this before!