Disassociate a Lead from a Smart Campaign

Anonymous
Not applicable

Disassociate a Lead from a Smart Campaign

Hi Kenny Elkington​,

I have created a Smart Campaign and added some filters to it, when the lead is created with the supplied filters, the lead is getting added to the Campaign that I created and everything works fine.

However, there are some cases, where I have to disassociate the lead from the campaign (the lead should be removed from just the campaign, not the actual lead deletion)

But I couldn't find any rest API call that does the operation of disassociating the lead from Smart Campaign.

I appreciate if you could let me know if there is a way to achieve the functionality.

Thanks and Have a wonderful day ahead.

Regards,

SM.

4 REPLIES 4
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Re: Disassociate a Lead from a Smart Campaign

Leads can only ever be removed from campaign membership through deletion of the lead.  What are you trying to accomplish?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Kenny Elkington,

Thanks a bunch for you reply.

The scenario I have is as follows.

When a user registers for our product, he will be considered as Trial user and added to Trial Campaign (this is a Smart Campaign and using Transactional Emails in Marketo) and a series of emails will be sent, to all the users in the campaign periodically.

When the user purchases the product, he will no longer be a trial user, so the lead has to be removed from the Trial Campaign, so he doesn't receive any of the Trial Campaign emails.

I want the lead to still exist in Marketo and want to track the history of the user going forward, just that the lead needs to be disassociated from the Campaign.

Can you please let me know how this can be achieved, if not any work around.

Thanks.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

What you're looking for is to remove the lead from the flow, not delete its campaign membership.  You'd want to create a trigger campaign that triggers when a lead becomes a subscriber.  What trigger you actually need depends on how you represent that in Marketo, but it's probably a field, so you'd use Data Value Changes.  For your flow, you want a Remove From Flow Step that targets the campaign you want to remove it from.  Once removed, none of the subsequent flow steps will be occur.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you Kenny Elkington​. Will try and update here.