SOLVED

Custom Objects in Marketo

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Custom Objects in Marketo

I'm hoping that this is a stupid question and easily answered.

I'm experimenting with Marketo's REST API, and familiarizing myself with the documentation. I just got to the part about Marketo custom objects (Marketo REST APIs: Custom Objects » Marketo Developers )

I see that I can get a list of, or create/update/delete records for a particular custom object. However, how do I create a new type (class?) of custom objects to begin with? For example, according to the documentation, I can create a new "car" with the VIN number, make/model etc. by making an API call to <REST API Endpoint URL>/rest/v1/customobjects/cars.json. But, how can I create the custom object "car" in the first place?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
John_Clark1
Level 10

Re: Custom Objects in Marketo

Hi Team,

Currently Custom object can be created for you through support. But in just a couple of weeks the October release will give you the ability to do it for yourself.

John

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Team,

Currently Custom object can be created for you through support. But in just a couple of weeks the October release will give you the ability to do it for yourself.

John

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. So the reason I couldn't figure out how to create one is because I can't create one. Do you have any other information on this, such as the release date for instance?

John_Clark1
Level 10

Hi Team,

The release will be rolled out over the weekend of the 23rd.

And I actually found this article in developers.marketo.com showing how you can create a custom object through REST.  The new feature being released in a couple of weeks will just make it easier to do through the UI.

Create/Update/Upsert Custom Objects » Marketo Developers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thankyou for the information on the release date.

However, that article is exactly what I was referring to. In order to do that, you need a value for {name}, such as "cars". But, if there is not already a custom object called "cars" in your instance of Marketo, making a callout to customobjects/cars.json will not create one automatically. I have already tried to do so, and it responded with an error.

Anonymous
Not applicable

When this comes out in a few weeks, we will probably be making extensive use of custom objects, in order to sync custom objects from Salesforce

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

You can already leverage Salesforce Custom Objects in Marketo.  To be clear, the Marketo Custom Objects will not allow you to interact with Custom object types or records which originate in Salesforce.

Anonymous
Not applicable

In that case, what's the best way to leverage Salesforce Custom Objects?

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee