Could Incognito Mode Block a Form Submission?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Could Incognito Mode Block a Form Submission?

Hi all-

We have a bit of a mystery on our hands.  We recently utilized a Marketo form/landing page at a trade show to capture booth visits.  Because we used our own iPads, we utilized Incognito mode browsers to avoid cookies and keep submissions unique.

Our reps are telling us we had amazing booth traffic, yet the form is only recording 16 submissions - most of which were tests on our end.  Could using Incognito mode have affected form submissions somehow? 

Thanks for any guidance!
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Could Incognito Mode Block a Form Submission?

Hi Jessica,

I've used a similar approach but found that instead of using incognito mode, I simply have it so that the fields aren't cookied within the form. The only downside is that you have to select this for each form field, which can be time consuming but is worth it. Following the form submission, I have it stay on the same page. I've never had issues where incognito mode blocked form submissions; I've only experienced situtations where reps didn't fully utilize the form. 🙂

Another approach that can help is using the check-in iPad app, which is great for gathering basic information on booth traffic. We did a biforacted approach where the app was used for booth traffic and the form fill out was used for hot leads. The information on the leads was sent directly to the sales rep. Overall this worked better than the single form fill out.
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Alternatively, you can use this method for future kiosk forms: https://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PvtiAAC
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

I would suggest this in lieu of what Matt has suggested, there are fewer side effects and it does not completely eliminate consistent tracking capability for a particular device: http://developers.marketo.com/blog/clearing-marketo-tracking-cookie-from-forms-2-0-submission/

Regarding Jessica's original question.  Incognito mode should not prevent standard form submissions.  Did the submissions appear successful on the floor, i.e. go through the full submission and redirect?  Was an email field included in the submission?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kenny-

We did have email on the forms and each of the reps "practiced" filling it out to see the full user experience- so they should have noticed if it wasn't submitting correctly.  I also checked each of their records to see if there were multiple fillouts, meaning the incognito didn't stick - but that wasn't it either.

I hate to say it, but it's looking like this may just be a case where reps just weren't having visitors complete the form.  Hopefully we'll get a stack of paper leads soon!

Thanks to everyone for your help!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am not sure why this caused a problem, but I will test this out. I would also recommend what Kenny suggested:
 http://developers.marketo.com/blog/clearing-marketo-tracking-cookie-from-forms-2-0-submission/