SOLVED

Company object sync with SFDC

Go to solution
Joon_Park
Level 2

Company object sync with SFDC

I understand that Accounts in SFDC are synced one way to Marketo (as in you can't create Accounts through Marketo, however if I make a change in SFDC to an account then it will display for the respective leads that are a part of the Account).

We currently are in the process of mapping fields to turn on SFDC sync. We want to start capturing B2B leads but we need a Company object in Marketo. We also have Accounts in SFDC as well. The SFDC sync probably will not be ready until Q1 next year.

What would be the implications of having both existing Accounts in SFDC and Company object data when we turn on SFDC sync in Marketo? How will the SFDC sync merge Account information and Company object data with the initial sync? Would somehow using a custom object work? Any insight would help so we can make the right decision on how we should keep B2B lead data.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SydneyMulligan
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Company object sync with SFDC

I would recommend using a third party like Reach Force to append that information if data integrity is a concern and you have a need to keep the leads unconverted for a while. Otherwise, I'd have your sourcing team convert the leads to Accounts with Contacts as soon as they have that information to populate at the Account level.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
SydneyMulligan

Hi Joon, I think I need a little clarification about what exactly you're trying to do here. What Company object are you referring to? Are you building a new non-standard object in SFDC called Company? Are you referring to the fields Marketo designates as "Company"?

Joon_Park
Level 2

Hey Sydney,

Yes, I'm referring to the fields Marketo designates as Company.

We're just in this weird limbo where we're using both SFDC and Marketo at the same time without SFDC sync enabled at the moment. We wanted to use Marketo as soon as possible and we realized that our SFDC needed a new data model with changes to our business model.

We need to start inputting B2B leads into Marketo as soon as possible. So I was just wondering what would be the best approach in being able to create Companies in Marketo and when we turn on SFDC sync, how those Companies in Marketo would sync to SFDC.

SydneyMulligan

Unless you are using the ABM module (an add-on product) there is no such thing as a Company object in Marketo, at least not in the way that SFDC has an Account object. There are fields designated as Company fields and you can map those to the fields on the Account object in SFDC, but do not need to worry about maintaining two Account/Company objects. Any custom fields on your Account object in SFDC can be synced over to Marketo as Company fields as well.

If you have leads in Marketo that do not yet exist in SFDC (which it sounds like you do), when the sync is turned on, those will sync over as Leads in SFDC - not Accounts with Contacts. They would need to be converted in SFDC.

Joon_Park
Level 2

Thanks for the insight Sydney, I completely forgot that Leads in SFDC do not have Accounts associated with them like Contacts.

So is there a way we can score leads depending on Company (Revenue, # of Employees, etc) in Marketo?

We want to qualify B2B leads depending on the company revenue, # of employees, and other company-related information. With how Marketo is set up now our sourcing team would have to put company information for each lead that they have (we want to get at least 15 leads from every B2B potential company).

I am worried that our sourcing team is going to add multiple leads from the same company and we would encounter typos, different revenue/size information, etc. which could potentially qualify/unqualify incorrectly.

I'm guessing maybe a Marketo custom object would work for this? Thanks again for all of your help.

SydneyMulligan

I would recommend using a third party like Reach Force to append that information if data integrity is a concern and you have a need to keep the leads unconverted for a while. Otherwise, I'd have your sourcing team convert the leads to Accounts with Contacts as soon as they have that information to populate at the Account level.

Joon_Park
Level 2

Thanks for all of your help Sydney. Once we get the SFDC sync going I believe it will resolve a lot of the issues we are having at the moment.