SOLVED

Cloning programs across workspaces - be aware of a "fixed" capability that no longer works

Go to solution
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Re: Cloning programs across workspaces - be aware of a "fixed" capability that no longer works

I haven't found anyone that thinks anything has changed here recently. Are you sure you were cloning the same exact program before and it worked? Is it possible that the program is constructed in a different way than in previous cases?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Re: Cloning programs across workspaces - be aware of a "fixed" capability that no longer works

If that's the case, then why was this idea marked as 'Done':

Yes, I can confirm this used to work with empty values.  I'd even be happy with the alternative method that Grégoire Michel suggested.  That doesn't even work. Program Templates (and cloning them to other workspaces) are the foundation for how we scale our operations efficiently across our global organization.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

I just created a default program, put a smart campaign in it that had empty values in the Smart List (as you show above), and cloned it to a folder in a different workspace. What I am saying is that I believe your issue is that there is something else about the program that is causing it to have the errors.

Dan_Stevens_

Thanks for looking further into this, Justin.  I'm at a loss here.  I dumbed down the program to the bare minimum:

Here's the "visited landing page" smart campaign:

pastedImage_0.png

pastedImage_1.png

And yet, I still get this:

pastedImage_2.png

Dan_Stevens_

So I completely re-built every one of our program templates that had a blank trigger in the smart list of the smart campaigns.  And now they can be cloned as expected.  This makes no sense.  The templates are EXACTLY the same as the ones that wouldn't clone. 

I recall something similar happened to us over a year ago - where Support told us that there were changes made on the back-end of Marketo that affected older programs; and that we would need to rebuild everything from scratch that we wanted "clonable".  While this specific issue is now resolved (for now), I'm concerned of the long-term stability of our program templates approach moving forward (and the time and effort it takes to re-build these when things stop working for no reason).

Justin Cooperman​  Chris Johnson

Roxann_McGlump1
Community Manager

There is an alternative to cloning programs across workspace, and that is to use the Import Program feature.  To do this, you need a little help from Marketo Support.  We can update the Import Programs setting on the back end to allow your Marketo instance to import from itself.  With this enabled, you would go to the destination workspace, choose Import Program, select your instance from the dropdown, and then select the program you want to copy.  Not only does this get around the "in use" issue, but if there are templates that need to be brought across, it imports those as well. 

Dan_Stevens_

Roxann, I'm very familiar with this approach, but unfortunately, it doesn't work well for us (and it's been enabled in our instance for some time now).  The issue is with all of the dependent assets and template files - it creates a slew of redundant files that just clutter up our instance.  All of our templates, images, etc. are shared - so we don't want them to come over as well.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

HI Roxann,

He have recently been through an intense work to migrate en few hundred programs from one instance to another, in order to migrate and merge 2 Marketo instances into a third one. There are many cases where this does not work. One of them that we have been able to detect is when a Marketo program asset refers and global asset (typically when a lading page uses a form from the design studio). Some others were harder to understand and, as the old instances are now deleted, I cannot go back a do some forensics to understand why.

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have hit this issue as well.  Any update on a fix Roxann McGlumphyJustin Cooperman​?

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

I can't reproduce this issue, so it's likely that something happened to the program that made it not eligible for cloning. Can you explain what was done so we can try to understand what it could be? As Dan said, when I just create a program from scratch I don't see this issue.