SOLVED

Changing settings on individual engagement stream emails

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Changing settings on individual engagement stream emails

Hi,

We have an engagement stream set up to send to anyone who downloads a whitepaper from our website by completing the download form. There are dozens of whitepapers that one could choose to download and but we just have one engagement stream (currently) to nurture these contacts post-download. Some of the content in the engagement stream includes our whitepapers, so I need to make sure that the people who downloaded those particular whitepapers are not then receiving them again in the engagement stream. 

Does anyone know if its possible to change the filter/smart list settings for particular emails in an engagement stream? For example, if the lead has filled out form A, do not send email A, but still send the rest of the emails in the stream.

My only thought so far is that I would need to set up separate engagement streams for all the whitepaper downloaders in order to ensure the content in each stream does not repeat the content they already downloaded. I'm hoping to avoid this.

Thanks in advance!

Megan
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Changing settings on individual engagement stream emails

Got it 🙂 Thank you for the clarification.

You could do this in two ways depending on how comfortable you are with Marketo.

1) You could definitely use streams and have each stream be for a group who downloaded a specific whitepaper and then not have that whitepaper in the stream

2) You can house your whitepaper emails in a regular program and have a smart campaign that references that email (this is what you will drag into the Engagement Program that will send out your content). Then what you will need to do is create a batch and a trigger. The batch will add anyone who has downloaded the whitepaper before as a member of that program. The trigger will do the same thing but for all new leads. (I would once again refer you to the Edward Unthank community article)

The second option is probably the most scalable method. It's more work than dragging emails, but if your company has multiple teams who send out the same asset, but different versions of it e.g. in different languages, then the second method would actually help make sure your customers and prospects don't receive it twice.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Megan,

Are you using smart campaigns or emails for your engagement programs?

If you are using emails in your engagement program and the whitepaper that people download is from that same email, then the engagement engine is smart enough to know that a person has received it and therefore will receive the next piece of content in your stream. Therefore all you have to do is drag and drop that same email that people were sent when they filled out the form and the engagement program will skip it. If you are a beginner to using Marketo and Engagement Programs this is what I would recommend because it is super simple.

If however you are using smart campaigns then what you'll need to do is add people as members of your program so that the engagement engine knows to skip that program: http://community.marketo.com/MarketoDiscussionDetail?id=90650000000PjghAAC Edward Unthank in this article does a great job in the comment section describing how to do this and if it is not clear enough I would be happy to draw up another article that goes through them step by step. This is a lot more advanced, but meets your requirement as well.

Let me know if this helps or if I can be more clear around certain aspects.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Phillip,

Thank you for the detailed response. I might be confused here but let me try to answer your question -we're using emails in our engagement program and within those emails we point to a Marketo landing page which could be the same landing page from which a person originally downloaded that same whitepaper. However, the thank you email that goes out when someone downloads their first whitepaper (just before they're moved to the engagement stream) are different from the emails in our engagement stream. Here's a sample scenario:

-Lead visits website for the first time and downloads whitepaper A
-Lead receives "thank you for downloading" triggered email in response to filling out whitepaper A download form
-Lead is moved into engagement stream where they get weekly emails with additional content, that includes one email with a link to download whitepaper A (I want to prevent them from getting the specific email containing a link to download whitepaper A... I don't want to remove this email from the stream though because someone else may have gotten into the engagement stream by downloading whitepaper C, and has not yet seen whitepaper A)

We're using a smart campaign to trigger the "thank you for downloading" email, and a separate smart campaign to trigger the engagement stream, but within the engagement stream are 7 emails. I hope this is clearer! Thanks again!

Megan
Anonymous
Not applicable

Got it 🙂 Thank you for the clarification.

You could do this in two ways depending on how comfortable you are with Marketo.

1) You could definitely use streams and have each stream be for a group who downloaded a specific whitepaper and then not have that whitepaper in the stream

2) You can house your whitepaper emails in a regular program and have a smart campaign that references that email (this is what you will drag into the Engagement Program that will send out your content). Then what you will need to do is create a batch and a trigger. The batch will add anyone who has downloaded the whitepaper before as a member of that program. The trigger will do the same thing but for all new leads. (I would once again refer you to the Edward Unthank community article)

The second option is probably the most scalable method. It's more work than dragging emails, but if your company has multiple teams who send out the same asset, but different versions of it e.g. in different languages, then the second method would actually help make sure your customers and prospects don't receive it twice.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I vote option 2.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you! This sounds like a big change to the way we have it structured now so it's a little overwhelming as someone who is not yet a pro with Marketo. That post you pointed me to looks very helpful though. Thanks again!

Megan
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Megan,

If you come across any problems post it to this discussion thread, to the link, or the communtiy and we will help you out!

Take it one step at a time, but once you've figured it out you will be a pro!