SOLVED

Change Program Status Choice 1

Go to solution
Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Change Program Status Choice 1

Hi everyone,

When there is only 1 choice added to the Change Program Status flow step, how will it effect the program status of a lead differently than just using the default choice? I was thinking that having the choice 1 allows the lead's program status to remain unchanged if the lead had unsubscribed/ email invalid/ had deliverability issues and that simply using the default choice would force the lead's program status to change regardless of other circumstances. Can somebody help clarify?

pastedImage_0.png

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Kerlin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Re: Change Program Status Choice 1

Hey Tom, in the example you provided above, "was sent email" will change the status of everyone who was sent the email. "Was delivered email" will only change them if the email was delivered so it's a little bit more refined. But, this is a flow step, and so if your first flow step was "send email", without a wait step in between steps 1 and 2, most people won't have their program status changed because the email won't have had time to be delivered yet.

I personally have mostly moved away from program statuses that involve changes based on email sends, opens and clicks because all of that data is in our email performance or send campaign performance reports. I will use webinar/event invited statuses if necessary to keep track, but that also has implications if you're linking to a SFDC campaign because we will often invite upwards of 100k people to an event, and typically have about 1-2% registration depending on the event. If everyone is listed as invited and the program is synced with an SFDC campaign everyone shows up as invited in SFDC as well, which is unnecessary for us.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Using a choice within a flow step allows you to run conditional logic:

If this, do that

else

do nothing (or a default action)

Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Tom, in the example you provided above, "was sent email" will change the status of everyone who was sent the email. "Was delivered email" will only change them if the email was delivered so it's a little bit more refined. But, this is a flow step, and so if your first flow step was "send email", without a wait step in between steps 1 and 2, most people won't have their program status changed because the email won't have had time to be delivered yet.

I personally have mostly moved away from program statuses that involve changes based on email sends, opens and clicks because all of that data is in our email performance or send campaign performance reports. I will use webinar/event invited statuses if necessary to keep track, but that also has implications if you're linking to a SFDC campaign because we will often invite upwards of 100k people to an event, and typically have about 1-2% registration depending on the event. If everyone is listed as invited and the program is synced with an SFDC campaign everyone shows up as invited in SFDC as well, which is unnecessary for us.

Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Thanks Dory! How long should the wait step be if I select "Was delivered email?"

Tom Kerlin
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hey Tom, you might consider making it a separate triggered campaign... The reason for this is that if there are any delays in getting the email out (out of your control) or any kind of deliverability delays (emails in pending status or soft bounces), you can't really know how long the wait step should be. Unless you wanted it to be a ~1 day wait step. That would probably catch everyone.

Best of luck!

Robb_Barrett
Marketo Employee

You can also set this to be a recurring campaign that the lead can flow through each time.

Marketo doesn't send the emails out at the time you request, it BEGINS the workflow to send them out. Actual send time is conditional on number of emails being sent, server load, etc. On top of that, different email providers run things differently. It might slowly release the emails to see if there's spam complaints.

Anywho, you can set up a trigger based on "Email is delivered" which will do the tracking and there's no need for conditional logic.

Robb Barrett
Tom_Kerlin2
Level 8

Thanks Robb!

Tom Kerlin