Change Back to Old Owner

Anonymous
Not applicable

Change Back to Old Owner

Marketo has changed current contact owners to our sales development representative. I don't know how this happened. What can I do to get these changed back to their original owners and prevent this from happening again?

Thanks for the help!
Blake
Tags (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Change Back to Old Owner

There is a way to do this. We had the same issue when 500k contacts ownership got changed.

I would contact Marketo Support immediately. I could outline the steps we took, but it would be better to get it from them, so that you're supported if the fix does not go as expected.

One thing to know, contacts owned by inactive SFDC users cannot be changed back. This might not be an issue for you, but it is good to know.

As for what caused this, I'd look back at any Smart Campaign that involves changes in ownership. In our case we only wanted the change of ownership to impact a very small subsection of data, based on some historic behavior. That was fine, but I put an "or" where I needed an "and," and that was all she wrote.

One step to mitigate potential errors like this is to put a limit on the number of records a Smart Campaign can execute.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Blake. Find a lead who's owner was changed. Then open their activity log and find the campaign which changed the owner. Evaluate this campaign's smart list rules & flow steps to ensure future changes aren't made.

"Marketo" didn't change anything. An active Smart Campaign created in your instance of Marketo changed the owners, so in order to prevent it from happening further, you'll need to find the erroneous campaign and modify it to work correctly.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Blake,

Adam's right, this is the quickest way to diagnose which campaign is changing things inadvertently. 
Kenneth_Elking1
Level 3

Hey Keith,

If all of the Change Owner activities came from the same source, you can pick one of the leads, and then go into its activity log and and the campaign which initiated it will be in a right hand column called campaign this.  This will link to it and you can see why it was changed.

To remediate the Owner Change, you need a list of the previous owners.  You'll need to create a smart campaign for each one with a smart list that says "Owner Was Change, Pevious Owner Was [Owner Name], Date of Activity between [timeframe]"  You may also wish to designate New Owner, if these changes were all made to a single owner.

Once you have this, you'll want a Change Owner Flow step to the previous owner.  This will need to be repeated for each owner from which leads were removed.

Hope this helps you out.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you all for your answers. Unfortunately, Adam there was no campaign associated with "Changed Lead Owner." I'm still exploring.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can you go back to those leads, who's owner was changed, and go to the activity log. Search for Owner. Find the change that doesn't include a campaign name. Then click on the ID number (should be far left) it'll open up a popup window like this.. 

0EM50000000RLCl.jpg

What does that thing say?