Capturing GA UTMs - first and last touch

Anonymous
Not applicable

Capturing GA UTMs - first and last touch

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone has approached the collection of first and last touch Google Analytic UTMs in Marketo?

We are wanting to tracking UTMs in our database but don't want the utm's to overide the everytime someone interacts with a form. We would like to keep an original "UTM collection" and a set that can be overided to demonstrate last touch prior to  sales conversion in Salesforce.

Then we need then send these 2 different sets to Salesforce.

If anyone has done this or something similar I would love some advice!

Cheers,
Bec
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Jenn_DiMaria2
Level 10

Re: Capturing GA UTMs - first and last touch

Hi Bec,

I haven't done this myself, but off the top of my head, I'm thinking that you could create three UTM fields: UTM Original, UTM Last Touch, and UTM Capture.

On your form, you would only include the UTM Capture field.  This field would be told to record the utm_source (or whatever field you'd like) when someone completes a form.

Then in the flow, you could do something like:

CHANGE DATA VALUE
If UTM Original is empty, change field UTM Original to {{lead.UTM Capture}}
Otherwise, change UTM Last Touch to {{lead.UTM Capture}}

This way, UTM Capture will write the source value to the original field ONLY IF there isn't already a value there.  If there IS a value there, it will write it to the Last Touch field (which would then change any time they submit the form).

Does that make sense?  Whew - I hope this helps 🙂
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Capturing GA UTMs - first and last touch

Bec,

Tracking source/influencing/UTM information has always been a pain point for marketing orgs.

If you're using Salesforce CRM, I suggest you using its more robust workflow to track this until Marketo builds out functionality here.

You could do one of two things:
  • Build a custom Salesforce object for UTM tracking. Each time the lead hits a UTM set, use Marketo to sync that info over to the object. The object can then be tracked as a related list on Lead/Contact and whatever else.
  • Use a free form text field for UTM History. Basically, write a Salesforce workflow that appends the latest UTM tag to this field. Reporting will be a bit tricky if you do it this way but it's also a bit easier to set up.