Canada SPAM legislation update

Anonymous
Not applicable

Canada SPAM legislation update

First time I've ever gotten an email regarding updates to the status of the pending Canadian law.
Oddly, the link in the email did not go straight to the info, just the front page of Canada Gazette, but pretty sure this is it:
http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2013/2013-01-05/html/reg1-eng.html 
This revision is posted for a consultation period of 30 days, which ends Feb 4.  No idea what happens after that, haven't had a chance to read it all, yet.
Tags (1)
2 REPLIES 2
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Canada SPAM legislation update

And I know folks want to know "When will I have to worry about this?"  So here it is, from the update, and of course it just couldn't be simpler:
----
COMING INTO FORCE

8. These Regulations come into force on the day on which sections 6 to 11 and subsection 64(1) of An Act to promote the efficiency and adaptability of the Canadian economy by regulating certain activities that discourage reliance on electronic means of carrying out commercial activities, and to amend the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Act, the Competition Act, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act and the Telecommunications Act, chapter 23 of the Statutes of Canada, 2010, come into force, but if they are registered after that day, they come into force on the day on which they are registered.
----

And yes, it does seem that the actual name of the act is:
An Act to promote the efficiency and adaptability of the Canadian economy by regulating certain activities that discourage reliance on electronic means of carrying out commercial activities, and to amend the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission Act, the Competition Act, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act and the Telecommunications Act

Say that one five times fast.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Canada SPAM legislation update

So efficient electronic communications should be "discouraged" because it might be more productive?

Sure, spam is unproductive, but it sounds wrong in this title.