Can Marketo prevent individual prospects from receiving more than 1 email per week?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can Marketo prevent individual prospects from receiving more than 1 email per week?

We want to be able to flag individual prospects in Marketo so that, if they've already received 1 email from us in a given week, then Marketo will automatically prevent itself from sending any MORE emails to that given prospect for the rest of that week.  

I know that Marketo has Communication Limits that affect ALL leads in a Marketo database for a given time period (see the Help article at https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000LK6FCAW ), but is it possible to apply these communication limits dynamically to individual prospects?  If so, how?
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Re: Can Marketo prevent individual prospects from receiving more than 1 email per week?

I'm not totally clear on why communication limits wouldn't work for you. From what you described, that's exactly what the built-in limits are designed to do.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can Marketo prevent individual prospects from receiving more than 1 email per week?

I believe you can't apply Comms Limit dynamically to individual records.

Before Comms Limit was available, I had set something up to prevent my nurture campaigns to be sent if the lead had already received another email. It wasn't pretty but it did the job! It had: 

1. A "Daily Email Count" custom field 
2. A trigger campaign that added 1 to Daily Email Count every time an email was sent (Email is sent, Email is any)
3. A campaign scheduled to run daily that reset Daily Email Count to zero
4. Nurture campaigns (this was before Engagement Programs) that checked that Daily Email Count was zero prior to sending an email

This may be over simplifying things, but maybe you could set Marketing Suspended = TRUE when an email is sent to the prospects that fit your criteria, wait one week, then set it back to FALSE?
Anonymous
Not applicable

In addition to what Nadia says: we used to have a Smart List called Overmailed. The List's condition was like:
Was sent email = email is any
+ constraints:

# of times: 2
period of time: This Week

Then just exclude members of Smart List = Overmailed in our e-mailing campaigns (no matter engagement or other)