Can I import a spreadsheet into Marketo and have an email dynamically pull from that spreadsheet?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I import a spreadsheet into Marketo and have an email dynamically pull from that spreadsheet?

Hello,

I'd like to see if other Marketo users have any insight on this.  I am setting up an email that will require dynamic insertions within several places in the email.  We are using a spreadsheet to keep track of the data that will be inserted into the emails.  The data has not anything to do with budgeting or tracking, nor is it related to the lead's account information.

At first I thought maybe I could create new SFDC fields, insert the data there, and then use Marketo tokens to pull from those new SFDC fields.  Unfortunately, the scope of this campaign is rather large, so it's not practical to manually insert the data into SalesForce.  We'd really prefer to somehow upload the spreadsheet and then have the campaign pull data from that spreadsheet either through the SalesForce side or through Marketo.

Is something like this possible?

Kindest regards,

Olivia
Tags (1)
3 REPLIES 3
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Re: Can I import a spreadsheet into Marketo and have an email dynamically pull from that spreadsheet?

Hey Olivia,

While this is not possibel from within the Marketo UI, you can do this with the ImportToList API call, using the ProgramTokenList parameter.  You can find more information here: http://developers.marketo.com/documentation/soap/importtolist/
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Can I import a spreadsheet into Marketo and have an email dynamically pull from that spreadsheet?

Hi Olivia,

I'd love to learn more about the uniqueness of the data you're looking to "dynamically insert". The reason I ask is if the data you're using in the campaign is unique for each lead you're sending to, then mapping the data to a field in salesforce is really your only easy option (save for the suggestion from Kenny) . 

It is possible to create Marketo-only fields, in other words, fields that only exist in Marketo, and never map to Salesforce, but this is generally not a great idea, as you may determine at some point you DO want that data in your CRM, and then it's a real mess to fix later.

Spreadsheet uploads are possible to do in Marketo, but these only work if they have a field to map to in your Marketo/CRM database. So even though you can upload a spreadsheet with all your custom values, if there isn't a field in your database to map that data to, it won't get imported, and you can't use it. 

Hope this helps,

-Jeff

Anonymous
Not applicable

Kenny,

Thank you for the quick response!  I took a look at the link and it was extremely helpful.

Jeff,

You addressed all of my concerns.  Thanks for the the thorough response!  Yes, the data will be unique to each lead, but it's good to know there we have several options.

- Olivia