SOLVED

Assign Specific Lead Source to New Leads Website Signups

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Assign Specific Lead Source to New Leads Website Signups

I was wondering if anyone knows how to specify a specific lead source for new leads who come into the lead database as website signups? Specifically, we are running a series of display ads, and would like the value in the Lead Source field for the new lead to be the specific media outlet that they came to us through, vs. having the type of signup in the Lead Source field (i.e. Website Signup). We'd be putting the referral information in this field that way.

How might I go about doing this? I sthis something I setup using the SOAP API functionality?

Thanks in advance!

Andrea

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Assign Specific Lead Source to New Leads Website Signups

Hi Andrea,
You should pass the Lead source as a parameter in the URL you are using for the link (Marketo has a Link Builder tool available out of the box ),  to a hidden field in the sign-up form on the Web Page. You do this in the Form Builder by designating how a hidden field should get it's value from the URL parameters.
If you also use Salesforce, then you can pass the SFDC Campaign ID as well, which will then give you multi-touch attribution based on the one-to-many source relationship between the Lead/Contact Object and the Campaign object.
Hope this helps 🙂
Terry ... Eagle Creek Software Services - 4 million Front Office Consulting hours and counting!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Andrea,
You should pass the Lead source as a parameter in the URL you are using for the link (Marketo has a Link Builder tool available out of the box ),  to a hidden field in the sign-up form on the Web Page. You do this in the Form Builder by designating how a hidden field should get it's value from the URL parameters.
If you also use Salesforce, then you can pass the SFDC Campaign ID as well, which will then give you multi-touch attribution based on the one-to-many source relationship between the Lead/Contact Object and the Campaign object.
Hope this helps 🙂
Terry ... Eagle Creek Software Services - 4 million Front Office Consulting hours and counting!
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'n addition to what Terry suggests, you can specify the Lead Source as Web or Website Signup and specify Lead Source Detail for the specific ad venue or source so you can track which ad worked better. Best of luck!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Terry/Mike for your help!

I used the Google URL Builder to add UTM parameters to the links I embedded in the ads, so I could track the ads in Google Analytics. I don't suppose then that I can use both Google AND Marketo/SFDC UTM parameters in a link?

Thanks in advance!

Andrea