Are you running geo campaigns based on inferred info?

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Are you running geo campaigns based on inferred info?

Hi,

We are not always collecting (at least in first round) the data about city or region. I was wondering how accurate the inferred data are. Are you using those data (inferred country, anonymous IP, inferred phone area code) to run your geo campaigns? Any positive or negative feedback?

Thanks

Cécile @ Talend
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Re: Are you running geo campaigns based on inferred info?

In my experience, it's pretty accurate on the country level, world-wide. In the US, it's pretty accurate up to the city and inferred area code level. I have no experience with city-level outside the US.

The only exception are large companies that channel internet traffic through a VPN: often, it looks as if remote employees access the internet from headquarters or a datacenter location (which is maybe what you want if you use if for assigning sales territories)

Hope that helps, 
Jep
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to be somewhat carfeful with people who are not located at their home office.  For example, even though my office is located Chicago, my inferred city/region is Detroit, where our corporate headquarters is located.

Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

Ok thanks.

BTW would you have an explanation why all inferred data collected for my record are correct except for inferred metropolitan area and phone area? Our main US offices are based in CA and MA...

Inferred City: Suresnes (correct)
Inferred State Region Ile-de France (correct)
Inferred Country: France
Inferred Metropolitan Area: Columbus OH (MRC-535) (false)
Inferred Phone Area Code: 614 (false)

Jep_Castelein2
Level 10

Can't look at the details, but my guess is that only City/State/Country are available for your location in France. Therefore, Metro area and inferred phone remained blank. Then somehow those were populated with the Columbus location (the area code is for Columbus). 

Jep
Cecile_Maindron
Level 10

so maybe I can make assumption that it's pretty accurate for US but I shouldn't use these criteria for other countries?