SOLVED

Analytics when sending to an alias group.

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Analytics when sending to an alias group.

Our primary use of Marketo is with our customers but we also use it to send internal newsletters to folks within the organization. To avoid managing another database/list, we use group aliases - example: everyone@ourURL.com.

While these newsletters are internal, we still would like to see stats for these sends - opens, clicks, forwards, etc. Unfortunately, we do not get the full set of stats when we send to the alias. It seems that stats are only recorded for one recipient and no one else.

Does anyone know how we can collect full email stats in this situation?

Thanks
Shannon
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

Re: Analytics when sending to an alias group.

You really won't be able to, unfortunately. While your email alias considers everyone@ourURL.com to be tens, hundreds, thousands, etc, of people -- Marketo only sees it as one person. So like you said, the second someone opens it, you're going to have a 100% open rate (assuming you only send it to that alias).

I know you said you don't want to manage another spreadsheet, but does your HR department or somewhere else not already do this? In a previous job I simply used a sheet that the HR dept was already maintaining and would update the list prior to internal sends.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Matt_Stone2
Level 9

You really won't be able to, unfortunately. While your email alias considers everyone@ourURL.com to be tens, hundreds, thousands, etc, of people -- Marketo only sees it as one person. So like you said, the second someone opens it, you're going to have a 100% open rate (assuming you only send it to that alias).

I know you said you don't want to manage another spreadsheet, but does your HR department or somewhere else not already do this? In a previous job I simply used a sheet that the HR dept was already maintaining and would update the list prior to internal sends.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback. I assumed that there might not be alternatives.

This company is pretty large and the send goes to thousands of employees. The person handling the newsletter is pretty adamant about sending to a group alias. With the size and structure of the company, I can't tell if that's a procedure, a demand from someone above or a strong request from the newsletter manager.

If anyone has any other ideas, I'm open. Has anyone tried to deal with this before?

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great post Shannon.  Measuring internal engagement and relevancy of topics for colleagues is something we've been wanting to do as well.  Unfortunately, Marketo is set up for personalizing emails so it doesn't like group mailboxes.