SOLVED

Adding Google Calendars to emails

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Adding Google Calendars to emails

Hi everyone, 

I've been able to embed our Google Webinar calendar into the email HTML codes, and it looks great in Marketo emails.. 

but when I send it out - either a sample, or anyone - it disappears!?

The calendar settings are public, the code seems to be working on landing pages.. just not in emails.

Has anyone battled this? Any ideas why it's not appearing in sent emails?
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Adding Google Calendars to emails

There is not an embed code I know of that would work inside of an email. It is a technological limitation of email as a medium.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What's the embed code look like? We filter some things out that don't always work on all browsers.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hey Erik, 

It's a basic iframe embed code:

<iframe src="https://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=calendar%40discoverorg.com&ctz=America/Los_Angeles" style="border: 0" width="800" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

(I am trying to upload a screenshot, but for some reason it won't let me upload it here today)

Anonymous
Not applicable

I see. High-level, iframes aren't consistently supported by email clients (e.g. don't work in GMail or newer Outlook versions) so we filter them out. Here is a relevant blog article on the topic: https://www.campaignmonitor.com/blog/post/3219/do-iframes-work-in-email/

I'd recommend putting it on a landing page and linking to that.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks Erik, 

I thought it might have been the iframe that was causing it. Is there any work around to embed it into an email?

We don't email to free email accounts, like GMail, so no worries there.

Sadly a landing page link won't work for this, as its an active calendar.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I tried using both <object> and <embed> codes, but again those are prevented from being sent in an email.

Any embed codes that are ok to use in an email?
Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Hey Gregory,  

I believe Erik was referring to embedding the iframe into the landing page, and then linking to the page.  Other than that, there's not really a good way to pull live web content into an email, as most clients don't allow this.  Best to house it somewhere other than the email if it's dynamic.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep, exactly. Don't put it in the email in any format other than an image or screenshot. Best practice is just to hyperlink to a landing page with the content.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks gents, 

I understand its not best practice, but I do need to find a way to embed this into my emails as it will prevent me from rewriting the same group of emails everyday.

Is there a list of embed codes that are allowed?

Thanks again for your help.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is not an embed code I know of that would work inside of an email. It is a technological limitation of email as a medium.