SOLVED

Re: Update account field based on a contact's action in salesforce

Go to solution
Tylee_Suarez
Level 2

Update account field based on a contact's action in salesforce

I want to be able to add a contact to a marketo campaign in salesforce and then in the flow, change a data value on the contact's account. Is that possible?

For example:

Contact - add to marketo campaign

trigger - when contact is added to campaign via marketo sales insight

flow - change data value "do not call" (at account level - not on the contact)

Is that possible?

I know it works on the contact, I tested it, but I can't get it to work at the account level. Is there a step I'm missing?

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Tylee Suarez​,

Account fields are not writeable from Marketo.

To get around this, you can update a proxy field on the contact and use a Process Builder or Apex in Salesforce to update the Account field.

Just be careful if you have multiple contacts on the same account which could be updated with different values in Marketo, as you could have conflicting data values overwriting each other on the account in this case.

---

Justin Norris | Perkuto​

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Justin_Norris1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Hi Tylee Suarez​,

Account fields are not writeable from Marketo.

To get around this, you can update a proxy field on the contact and use a Process Builder or Apex in Salesforce to update the Account field.

Just be careful if you have multiple contacts on the same account which could be updated with different values in Marketo, as you could have conflicting data values overwriting each other on the account in this case.

---

Justin Norris | Perkuto​

Tylee_Suarez
Level 2

Thanks Justin. That's what I was afraid of.... I appreciate the help!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Tylee,

First thing, you, should not post to the champion group if you expect a quick answer... Fortunately, I was wandering on the community a spotted your question, but there, it is not visible...

You should relocate the question to "products"

See Getting the most of the community when you have a Marketo question

Second this will not work because Marketo cannot update the information in the CRM.

On the contrary, next time the account syncs, your change will be overridden and replaced with the values from SFDC.

If you want to do this, you need to post the new value to a contact field, push in to SFDC and there have a workflow that updates the account.

-Greg

Tylee_Suarez
Level 2

Thanks Gregorie! sorry about that!