Customers often ask me for tips for improving the integration, specifically the sync speed, between Marketo and SFDC. The syncing of a lot of fields can impact performance. Here is a list of things you can do to optimize the field sync between the two systems.
- Start by reviewing the activity log of a few records (leads and contacts) plus recently created and older records. If you see a lot of data value changes for fields you don’t ever use on a form or to segment your database they are probably fields you synced over unnecessarily. If the value of a field is changing every day the field is probably a formula field. Since it is difficult to use a formula field in Marketo I would recommend unsyncing it.
Example of possible fields to unsync:
- Create a field dictionary listing the purpose of each field you are interested in unsyncing. A helpful way to see the SFDC field label and API name is http://docs.marketo.com/display/public/DOCS/Export+a+List+of+All+Marketo+API+Field+Namesexport a list of all the fields in Marketo (Marketo only and Synced from SFDC).
- Lookup each field you are interested in unsyncing in Marketo to determine how it is being used. Marketo will show you which smart lists and campaigns the field is being used in.
- Consult with your SFDC Admin if you don’t understand the purpose of a field.
- Run reports in SFDC or smart lists in Marketo to determine if the field is populated for many records and to review the values in the field.
- I recommend considering unsyncing a field if any of the following are true:
- If a field isn’t being used in a target marketing, a smart list, form or list import
- If you don’t understand the purpose of the field
- If the field isn’t populated for many records or the data doesn’t look valid.
- To unsync a field, meaning stopping the data sync between the two systems, have your SFDC Admin hide the field in the profile for the Marketo user. Remember to also hide the field in Marketo.
- That’s it. You can always start the data sync for field again by having your SFDC Admin make the field visible again in the profile for the Marketo user and change the SFDC last updated date for all the records so all the values are updated in Marketo. You will also need to unhide the field in Marketo.
Bonus tip: Remember to evaluate all the fields syncing between the two systems for all SFDC objects. Start with the Opportunity and Account objects but don’t neglect looking at any custom objects that are syncing.
Here are some additional resources for learning about the Marketo integration with SFDC.