Re: A/B Testing: 3 Options in Marketo

Joe_Reitz
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

A/B Testing: 3 Options in Marketo

Hi everyone,

To open up the Nation Talks series, I wanted to share a quick overview of one of the most useful tools Marketo offers: A/B Testing.

There are three main avenues you can take, and a big part of which type of A/B test you run is tied to what program type you're operating in. This video highlights how and when to use an email program A/B test, how champion/tests work in default & engagement programs, and ends on a "random sample" use case.

This was a blast to create, and I look forward to seeing how we as a community can continue to sharpen one another!

To learn more about The Nation Talks!

If it doesn't look cool, you're probably doing it wrong.
Tags (1)
12 REPLIES 12
Lauren_Beth
Level 6

As Marketo is by nature a very visual and process oriented tool, any training on video will be very valuable.  I also like that it is available here rather than in the University which makes it easier to find and use.

Joe_Reitz

Yep, that's the idea here.

Nation Talks is a pretty new idea, but stand by for more awesome videos from other Marketo Champs & power users this month!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is extremely useful! As someone new to Marketo who recently had to revamp our Nurture program, we wanted to do some A/B testing.

I started out doing it the normal way until I ran in to challenges because you can't use the first two methods with that type of program - they simply don't function as they are meant to.

While the Community helped me out with an answer (Random Sample), this video has added some learning for me, and I will definitely be using some listening campaigns to move people into other areas/lists as a result of the actions they take with the emails we are testing.

Thanks for a great resource!

Michelle

Joe_Reitz

mischief managed

Glad you found it useful! There's going to be some truly mind-blowing stuff coming out later this month from some other Marketo Champs, so stay tuned!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi,

amazing post that claryfied me 3 different methods of A/B testing in Marketo. Thanks for that.

I just have one more question: will Challenger A/B testing work with emails in design studio as well or does it work only with local emails?

Thanks,

Jan

Joe_Reitz

Hey Jan Vacek​,

You can do Champion/Challenger tests in the Design Studio, as well... But it's not something we tend to do. The only emails we keep in the Design Studio are either templates or auto-responders, like "Thank You's" and alerts.

Anyway, just right-click the email and select "New Test." If you wanted to do random sample for some reason, you'd have to do it at the program level.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joe,

thank you for your response. I think we are not gonna use design studio emails while doing A/B test.

We actually had a problem with Engagement program composed by default programs triggered by smart campaigns. Is there any guide how to do engagement programs by using default programs, please? How should smart campaign look like?

I would appreciate any recommendation.

Thanks a lot,

Jan

Joe_Reitz

If you're just getting started, I'd recommend just keeping it simple. Create a basic engagement program that contains all your emails, set the cadence, and sit back.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Joe,

we are no new in marketo. We have been doing it that way you suggested. Now, we want to leverage the opportunity to embed batch campaigns (webinars, events and so on) into engagement program. The only question we have is how the smart campaign for nurturing should be set up? Could you pls help if you have any experience with it?

Thanks, Jan