SOLVED

What happens when member doesn't qualify for default program in a stream

Go to solution
Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

Re: What happens when member doesn't qualify for default program in a stream

Hi @Darshil_Shah1 

I have a bug somewhere. I only added people to the Consideration stream but they were sent the first email from the Awareness stream. 

Shane_Rourke2_0-1678420198941.png

Shane Rourke
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

I'd like you to double-check a few things mentioned below:

• Verify whether the person is in the Consideration Stream, you could verify it by going to Engagement Program > Members Tab > See the stream of the person. Alternatively, you could also check the engagement program stream of a person by double-clicking the Add to Engagement program activity in the activity log.
  • Ensure that you've selected the correct program and campaign in the consideration stream. I think this is the root cause, as in your act log snapshot.
  • If the stream and program are correctly selected, verify whether the email selected in the send email campaign in the nested default program in the Consideration stream is correct (i.e., you shouldn't be referencing the Awareness stream program, good to double-check this, as you cloned out the awareness program).
  • I see a Change Program Status activity (highlighted below) for the Consideration program > Excluded. Ideally, as per your setup, this status should have changed for the Awareness program instead, so most likely it's the error in program selection in the Consideration stream or a miss on updating the flow of the cloned program's campaign.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1678423459735.png

Let us know how it goes!

Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

Thanks for the quick response @Darshil_Shah1 . 

I checked and none of the people made it to the Consideration stream. All were sent to the Awareness stream. 

I think it was because of Touch 1 of the Consideration Stream has the Change Program Status for Touch 1 of the Awareness Stream. We did this so people would bypass in case I ever wanted to add a transition rule where someone could go back to the Awareness Stream. 

Shane_Rourke2_1-1678424266669.png

Shane Rourke
Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

The correct programs are represented in each stream.

Shane_Rourke2_0-1678426192636.png

Also showing most of the members were skipped. 

Shane_Rourke2_1-1678426274831.png

Shane Rourke
Darshil_Shah1

It appears that people were already in the engagement program and that's why they got skipped when Add to Engagement Program flow step was run. Also, I usually like the test stream functionality while testing my EP. It has the option to create new test records on the fly too.

Darshil_Shah1_0-1678427219837.png

Check the documentation on the test stream option here.

Darshil_Shah1

@Shane_Rourke2, Change Program Status flow step could not possibly change the engagement program stream of a person (it just adds the person to the program with the mentioned program status). You need to run a "Change Engagement Program Stream" flow step for changing the EP stream of a person and also worth mentioning that a person could only be in a single EP stream at once (can't co-exist in multiple streams).

While adding the person to the Engagement Program, did you select the correct stream you are testing, i.e., the Consideration stream? Also, if you feel hopping on a call would be a better idea, then let me know we can set something up. If we plan to take this over a call, I'll make sure to post an update on this thread later so people know what the issue was. 🙂

Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

@Darshil_Shah1 a call would be amazing. I just IMed you on LinkedIn.

Shane Rourke
Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

For the community, we swapped out "add to engagement program" with "change engagement program" stream in the entry campaign.

@Darshil_Shah1 I also ended up cloning Awareness email assets 1 & 2 for the Consideration track. I realized that my activity tracking campaigns (delivered, opened, clicked) could give credit to the wrong campaign since the triggers are looking for the same email in both default programs. I came to this realization because members would be in both programs since we added the Change Program Status to "Nurture > Excluded" to the first two programs in other stream. 

Shane Rourke
Darshil_Shah1

Thanks for adding the amendments we made on the call earlier today here and closing the loop, @Shane_Rourke2 ! The general recommendation from my end to people reading this thread later would be to use a combination of the "Change Engagement Program Stream" and "Change Engagement Program Cadence" flow steps instead of the "Add to Engagement Program" flow step to process people who could be either net new to the engagement program or be existing members of the EP. Marketo automatically adds people to the EP in case they're already not in it when people run through the "Change Engagement Program Stream" and "Change Engagement Program Cadence" flow steps (so they do the job of "Add to Engagement Program" flow step implicity).

Also, good call on cloning the email assets (as I said in the call earlier, I was under the impression that you already had cloned them). As a rule of thumb, in an EP it's always better to have a separate email and send campaign housed in a new nested default program for re-sending instead of jumping through hoops in an effort to re-use the same asset. 🙂 

Shane_Rourke2
Level 4

Thanks, @Darshil_Shah1, I would prefer to use one asset for two reasons. I don't think there is a workaround with my set up so going to go with creating an asset for each default program. 

1. In the case there are edits, we would only need to update in one place

2. Language localization using dynamic content. The way I have it set up now means I would have to have an email for each translation. 

Shane Rourke