SOLVED

What happens to existing landing page URL's when the Domain is updated in Admin?

Go to solution
Keith_Nyberg2
Level 9 - Champion Alumni

What happens to existing landing page URL's when the Domain is updated in Admin?

Hey Community,

I received a request to update our company CNAME. I have added the new Domain alias, but now need to update the actual domain listed in the Admin section.

What will happen to existing landing pages when I make this change? Will all the current landing pages update to the new domain? I would assume they would remain unchanged but that new landing pages built would have the new domain. Also, what would happen if I clone a program with landing pages that have the old domain? Will the cloned program use the new domain or whatever domain was used when the original pages were built?

Any help here would be great!

Thanks!

Keith Nyberg

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: What happens to existing landing page URL's when the Domain is updated in Admin?

If you're updating the primary domain, make sure to add the old primary domain as an alias.

Pages won't "remember" or be accessible via a domain that no longer exists at all.

View solution in original post

16 REPLIES 16
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: What happens to existing landing page URL's when the Domain is updated in Admin?

If you're updating the primary domain, make sure to add the old primary domain as an alias.

Pages won't "remember" or be accessible via a domain that no longer exists at all.

Keith_Nyberg2

Thanks Sanford. Played around with this this afternoon and figured that out. Thank for the reply though!

Additional notes on my discovery.

All existing landing pages will update to the new value once changed.

Nice to know that once you add a new Domain in Admin that the new prefix works on all existing landing pages, even with the old prefix. So our online ads guy can change all our adds to point to the new domains even though we have not actually updated the Domain in Admin to the new value yet.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Keith - does Marketo automatically 301 the old pages to the new? So if there's an email out there with a link to the old domain name landing page URL - will that get automatically redirected to the new domain landing page URL? Thanks in advance!

Keith_Nyberg2

Hey Michelle,

I edited the current "Domain Name" to our new alias, (new = info.sugarcrm vs old = suga.sugarcrm.) Once I was done with that I added the old CNAME as a domain alias (see screenshot attached). This allowed us to keep all of our old links active. So if you follow this link, SugarCRM | Gartner Magic Quadrant Report , you can replace info. with suga. and it will display the current .info landing page, but the URL will read suga. Make sure your current "Fallback Page" is correct just in case.

Double check any smart campaigns to ensure they are not broken. This could happen if you are referencing URL's in your triggers/filters versus the MKTO asset name (both work but the MKTO asset name is better to use because it changes automatically where the URL will not).

Sincerely,

Keith Nyberg

Courtney_McAra4
Level 4

Hi Keith Nyberg​ -

"we have not actually updated the Domain in Admin"

Have you done this yet?  I'm waiting to pull the trigger.....

Keith_Nyberg2

Hey Courtney,

We flipped the switch a while back. Be sure to add your old CNAME as a "New Domain Alias", and both your new and old links should work! See my reply to Michelle for more detail.

Sincerely,

Keith Nyberg

Courtney_McAra4
Level 4

Thanks.   We're working with Services and our IT Department to get our new subdomain marked as secure https..... after that's done we'll make the switch. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

We are also in the conversation process of migrating to https site-wide. Let me know how your switch goes. How are you handling updates to your existing pages pointing to the old http version of assets?

Courtney_McAra4
Level 4

I am under the impression that when we change our Default CNAME, that all URLs will automatically update.....