Use Lead Name + Email Before SFDC Sync

Anonymous
Not applicable

Use Lead Name + Email Before SFDC Sync

Alright, so... We rolled-out Marketo and SFDC alongside launching an inside sales team earlier this year. So far things have been working smoothly, but recently we've been having duplicate lead issues where our sales team is importing leads through SFDC, and we are importing leads through Marketo.

First things first - we know Marketo looks for duplicate leads based on email address before syncing to SFDC and have communicated this multiple times to the sales team. However, because they import leads through SFDC there is obviously a misconnect in searching for duplicate leads, and so we have lots that have been created.

They are now asking us to set up a rule that asks Marketo to search by First and Last Name and Email Address before syncing a lead to SFDC. When we implemented Marketo it was my understanding this was not possible...

Any ideas on how we can work with our inside sales team together to ensure we are both reducing the possibility of duplicate leads going forward?
Tags (1)
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Use Lead Name + Email Before SFDC Sync

As far as I know, this is not possible. A couple of suggestions that have worked for us:

1) Create a data management campaign that prevents Leads from being synced to SFDC if they are on the Possible Duplicates list (which can be modified for full name).

2) Speak to your SFDC admin and recommend they install DupeCatcher. It is free and you can set up rules the prevent the sync as well. For example, we have a rule in DupeCatcher that does not allow a Lead to be created within SFDC (either by syncing from Mkto or creating one directly in SFDC) if the Lead has the same Last name and the first 12 digits of the Company Name are the same. 

It's not perfect, but definitely has helped prevent duplicates while cleansing the database as well.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Justin,

First, let me assure you that what you're going through every other user on this portal has gone through, or something similar. I wish I could say I have a good suggestion, but I have seen sales, (not just Jr. sales either) to similar things or even create duplicate organizations. And as far as I know, there's no way to limit those imports in SFDC.

I like Jeff's solution, and I will check out DupeCatcher
Itay_Billet4
Level 8

Most of our leads are created through Marketo, although some are still created in SFDC (manually / deal registration process).
I created a smart campaign that notifies me whenever a duplicate lead is created with same email (you can do one for full name also). you can also prevent syncing to SFDC, as Jeff mentioned.
I also recommend Dupecatcher, although I'm quite sure it won't help dedupe between leads and contacts (It's working only with leads to leads & contacts to contacts).

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Itay - How did you set up your smart campaign to notify you of a duplicate lead?
Itay_Billet4
Level 8

Smart List: Trigger - Lead is created
                    Filter - Duplicate Field is Email Address

Flow:  Send Alert - Duplication Email - I included the lead name, company name and SFDC link, so I'll be able to click and merge.
You can set a similar email for "Full Name", but this could be misleading sometimes..