SOLVED

Track duplicate records activity differently

Go to solution
Firoz
Level 1

Track duplicate records activity differently

Hello There, 
This is my first post. I hope I have explained the issue well. 

Suppose I have 3 Salesforce Accounts (1,2,3) and these accounts have the same records (with the same email IDs) but with different Membership Tiers ( let's say A, B, C). 

Now from Marketo, we are triggering different emails based on Membership Tier for form fill-out.

The issue I ran into was when a record from 1st account record having a Membership Tier A was doing a form-fill activity it can be seen in the same record activity log. 

Now if the 2nd account record having a Membership Tier B does a form fill activity it has been updated into 1st account records only. 
Is there any way in Marketo we can track the activity of each record differently? 
Any help is appreciated!

Thanks 
Firoz

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Track duplicate records activity differently

Suppose I have 3 Salesforce Accounts (1,2,3) and these accounts have the same records (with the same email IDs) but with different Membership Tiers ( let's say A, B, C).

They fundamentally cannot be the same SFDC records. Different SFDC Contact IDs would be assigned in this case (unless you’re trying to do multiple accounts in SFDC, which is a whole other set of disasters in Marketo).

So from Marketo’s standpoint, they are different records. Whether they have the same Email Address field or not.

When you fill out a Marketo form, only one of those records will be updated. Marketo chooses the most recently updated record. (And if all you do is fill out forms, that most recently updated record will continue to be the same record, Record 1. But there’s no permanent order, and if another process updates Record 2 it would become the form target.)

Marketo support can switch you to a custom compound lookup key for form fillouts. That key in your case would be Email Address + Membership Tier. Obviously, Membership Tier must be a field on the form for this to work. But it would meet your needs.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Track duplicate records activity differently

They fundamentally cannot be the same SFDC records. Different SFDC Contact IDs would be assigned in this case (unless you’re trying to do multiple accounts in SFDC, which is a whole other set of disasters in Marketo).

So from Marketo’s standpoint, they are different records. Whether they have the same Email Address field or not.

When you fill out a Marketo form, only one of those records will be updated. Marketo chooses the most recently updated record. (And if all you do is fill out forms, that most recently updated record will continue to be the same record, Record 1. But there’s no permanent order, and if another process updates Record 2 it would become the form target.)

Marketo support can switch you to a custom compound lookup key for form fillouts. That key in your case would be Email Address + Membership Tier. Obviously, Membership Tier must be a field on the form for this to work. But it would meet your needs.