SOLVED

Smart List Use - consistently updated?

Go to solution
kleblanc71
Level 2

Smart List Use - consistently updated?

Hi there, I have a smart campaign I set up that will send a flow of emails between wait steps. For one of the emails I need show a different one depending on whether they have a particular data piece or not. I created a smart list to capture all leads that have a "code = 1". 

Campaign: Select all leads with status code xyz

Send email 1

Wait 5 days 
Send email 2 (if member of x smart list, send email 2a, if not send email 2b)

Smart List: Select all leads with member code =1

Does this smart list continuously update? So when we get to the third step of the flow, will it still be accurate information?

Thanks in advance for any help!

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Smart List Use - consistently updated?

Yes, smart lists are dynamic, unlike static lists that as the name suggests are static. So, to answer your question, yes when a person encounters flow step 3’s Member of Smart List choice step condition, Marketo refreshes the smart list members, checks if the person is a member or not, and based on that it will either run the choice step or the default choice step. I hope this is helpful. Let us know if you have questions. 😊 

View solution in original post

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Does this smart list continuously update? So when we get to the third step of the flow, will it still be accurate information?

Darshil’s on point, so just repeating for the lurkers: the SL doesn’t “continuously” update.

The database query re-runs as needed, like when you use Member Of Smart List/Not Member of Smart List, run an Email Program, have a Smart List subscription, etc. In between those events it’s not updated (that would destroy performance).

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Yes, smart lists are dynamic, unlike static lists that as the name suggests are static. So, to answer your question, yes when a person encounters flow step 3’s Member of Smart List choice step condition, Marketo refreshes the smart list members, checks if the person is a member or not, and based on that it will either run the choice step or the default choice step. I hope this is helpful. Let us know if you have questions. 😊 

kleblanc71
Level 2

Amazing! Makes sense and just what I was hoping to confirm. Thanks so much !

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Darshil’s on point, so just repeating for the lurkers: the SL doesn’t “continuously” update.

The database query re-runs as needed, like when you use Member Of Smart List/Not Member of Smart List, run an Email Program, have a Smart List subscription, etc. In between those events it’s not updated (that would destroy performance).