Smart List Return 0 Users Based on Prior Email

JamesJackson
Level 1

Smart List Return 0 Users Based on Prior Email

I am new to Marketo and am trying to prompt a second email to be sent out based on a group of users having received a first email.

My Smartlist for the second email is returning no users when there almost certain should be results based on the "first" email being sent out.

There are filters setup on the secondary email, but even those do not appear to yield results to show users. 

Tags (1)
9 REPLIES 9
Cody_Haener
Level 3

Re: Smart List Return 0 Users Based on Prior Email

Hello - can you share a screenshot of the Smart List filters you're using for the second email send? 

Also, when was the first email sent? Marketo only stores Email Sent and Email Delivered activity details on a person record for 90 days. If you're filtering based on either of those data points in your Smart List, and the first email was sent out more than 90 days ago, that would result in a zero count. In that case, you could potentially filter based on program membership and status depending on how the email program is setup. 

JamesJackson
Level 1

Sure thing here is the filter for the second email that I am using.

JamesJackson_0-1715948772039.png

And for reference, here are the smart list filters for the first email.

JamesJackson_1-1715948970478.png

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

@JamesJackson, to isolate the issue, could you try removed the filter #2, Unsubscribed = False, and see if you see people who were sent the emails last week? Also, are you able to verify from atleast a few people’s activity logs that the (either one or both) selected emails in the filter number 1 were indeed sent to them in the past 1 week. This is a fairly straightforward smart list configuration, and it could be either all the people who were sent the selected emails in the past 1 week are unsubscribed or people weren’t sent email in the past 1 week in the first place.

JamesJackson
Level 1

Sure thing, so I removed the second filter and I am still getting no results. 

I also looked at the logs from the Wave 1 and 1439 people qualified to receive this email on May 9th. With on only of those user unsubscribing. 

JamesJackson
Level 1

What even more interesting is under the tab

"Qualified People" I am returning quite a few results. But under campaign members there are no results.

JamesJackson_0-1715954489653.png

Cody_Haener
Level 3

Records won't show up under the Campaign Members tab until the Smart Campaign has run. Until then, all qualified records will be listed on the Qualified People tab. You can think of it like this: 

• Qualified People: Who is expected to be processed by the Smart Campaign
  • Campaign Members: Who was actually processed by the Smart Campaign

It sounds like your Smart Campaign is set up correctly and will run as expected, but just to be sure, can you share a screen shot of the Schedule tab? I've pasted an example below. I'm curious what the "Set to affect around" count is. 

Cody_Haener_0-1715960698491.png

WolframLotz
Level 4

Hi @JamesJackson , 

as @Cody_Haeneralready mentioned, it's possible that the email sendout was too long ago and therefore the activity is not logged anymore. You can find the durations of storage here: Marketo Activities Data Retention Policy Overview & FAQ. This will give you a hint as to which filters may be possible.

For more information, we need a screenshot of your smart list or more details.

Best regards,
Wolfram

Wolfram

Zoe_Forman
Level 9 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

HI @JamesJackson Looking at the date of the first email send was 9/5/2024 it looks to be longer than the last week if you are ending after 16th May.

Adjust the date from last week to last 15 or 30 days - make sure the date range captures the date of the first send.

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

@JamesJackson ,

in addition to @Zoe_Forman's point, what do you mean by 'received'?  Do you mean sent?  Do you mean Marketo believes it was delivered?  Do you mean 'opened'?

Cheers

Jo