SOLVED

Sharing Smart Campaigns?

Go to solution
Michael_Florin
Level 10

Sharing Smart Campaigns?

Hello!

Marketo states in their documentation that Smart Campaigns can be shared across workspaces.

Michael_Florin_0-1707302789516.png

https://experienceleague.adobe.com/docs/marketo/using/product-docs/administration/workspaces-and-per...

And I wonder what that means. Yes, you can share folders in "Marketing Activities". In fact, only the highest level folder in a Workspace can be shared. If you do that, a locked - shared - folder appears in the target workspace with the complete empty folder structure of the source Workspace in it. What could be the purpose of this feature?

• You still can't reference a Smart Campaign from the Source WS in the Target WS. (Neither request campaign nor execute campaign brings up these Smart Campaigns.)
  • You see the tokens of the Source WS in your Target WS, but as you can put anything underneath that Shared Folder, you can't use them in any way.

Before today I didn't even know that you could share anything in Marketing Activities, but now I wonder why this feature even exists and how it could ever be useful.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Sharing Smart Campaigns?

You will then see these Smart Campaigns in the Target Workspace, but you can't do anything with them. Most importantly: You can't request or execute them from the Target Workspace.

If you opt to do this, know that you also share the complete folder structure of your source workspace with the target, but every folder underneath the highest will be empty. That I would consider useless at best, but more likely confusing. 

Yeah, and also, the programs aren't something that could be shared, so campaigns within those aren't shared—just the folders, as you said! This requires some updates from Marketo soon.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Darshil_Shah1

@Michael_Florin, Yes, you're right, and I have also wondered the same for a while now. I realized this a few years ago when I was working for a client with several workspaces and partitions, and they wanted interoperability between workspaces. Well, we ended up placing operational campaigns in the default workspace and creating an auxiliary field that could be used to trigger campaigns in the other workspaces if required, as even if the campaigns are shared with other workspaces, they can't be requested by campaigns local to the target workspace(s).

As of now, I've made my peace thinking that this feature enables users to see the campaign definition from the workspace(s) they have access to, which they wouldn't be able to if they didn't have access to the campaign's source workspace (which is not common in a lot of organizations, especially the large ones - not all users have access to the Default workspace where all the operational campaigns live).

Katja_Keesom

Thinking along the lines of a Center of Excellence, I would assume having visibility on the source WS and the campaigns there allows for cloning them into your own workspace without giving you access to edit the original?

Michael_Florin
Level 10

That would be an idea, but cloning is not an option.

Michael_Florin_0-1707378017772.png

So my conclusion for now would be this: Yes, you can share Smart Campaigns with other Workspaces if you put them directly underneath the highest level folder in that Workspace. You will then see these Smart Campaigns in the Target Workspace, but you can't do anything with them. Most importantly: You can't request or execute them from the Target Workspace.

If you opt to do this, know that you also share the complete folder structure of your source workspace with the target, but every folder underneath the highest will be empty. That I would consider useless at best, but more likely confusing. 

Darshil_Shah1

You will then see these Smart Campaigns in the Target Workspace, but you can't do anything with them. Most importantly: You can't request or execute them from the Target Workspace.

Yeah, and also, the programs aren't something that could be shared, so campaigns within those aren't shared—just the folders, as you said! This requires some updates from Marketo soon.