Re: Salesforce.com sync errors - hundreds of duplicate leads created in SFDC by Marketo user

Anonymous
Not applicable

Salesforce.com sync errors - hundreds of duplicate leads created in SFDC by Marketo user

We've been using SFDC for nearly 10 years, and Marketo for just a month or so.

Sometime last night or early this AM, our Marketo sync user started creating hundreds of duplicate leads in SFDC. Looking at some of the lead records in Marketo says the creation originated in Salesforce.com.

Marketo support pointed me to this error I'm getting with sync failure: 

Could not execute update [Native Error: You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'and li.sfdc_lead_id is null and p.id=li.lead_person_id and p.sfdc_type is null' at line 3] [User Info: update mkt_person p,mkt_lead_interest li set li.sfdc_lead_id = '00Q4000000roOEYEA2', li.updated_at = '2013-11-21 08:51:49', li.sfdc_synch_timestamp = '2013-11-21 08:51:49', p.sfdc_type = 'Lead' WHERE li.id = and li.sfdc_lead_id is null and p.id=li.lead_person_id and p.sfdc_type is null]

Waiting to hear from SFDC support. 

Possibly related to permissions / role / user change in SFDC? I don't see any evidence of that in SFDC.

Dupe reocrds (25+ each) continuing to be created in SFDC by Marketo user. No lead source.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Gabe
Tags (1)
46 REPLIES 46
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Salesforce.com sync errors - hundreds of duplicate leads created in SFDC by Marketo user

I've experienced the exact same thing. I too have a ticket open with SFDC. Hopefully, it's an easy fix. I know that Dreamforce is going on. Hopefully, they didn't launch or update something that locked Marketo out...
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just so you know this issue has been escalated for further investigation on the Marketo side too.
My colleagues will keep you both up to date via the cases that you have already logged.

Rgs,
Cathal
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Cathal.

It seems to me like this would be a widespread issue for all of your customers who integrate with SFDC. 

For now, I've disabled my SFDC sync in Marketo to prevent additional leads from being created until this is resolved. 

My case was also escalated on the SFDC side (we have Premier support, so hoping for quick resolution there):

After reviewing your case, and seeing that this is an issue with the SQL syntax, I have forwarded your case over to our Developer Team to assist you further with this issue.

Latest from my Marketo case:

We only have limited auditing for the bi-directional sync but looking at the sync error log, this message appears to have started last night at the 9:56pm EST sync and has continued since then. This error message is something being provided by Salesforce as something that is occurring on the Salesforce side which leads me to believe there is an issue within Salesforce as that is also where the Leads are being created initially and then syncing to Marketo. We have had other clients call in with a similar issue since we spoke and we are performing some due diligence to verify whether there is anything we can do from Marketo to address this. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

We had this problem, as well...though it seems with only a handful of leads that I can tell, and I think only leads who were new to our system.

I wish we would have gotten an alert since this was an escalated problem! 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for sharing this issue. I have not noticed anything on our side, but I have asked my team to look and see if we're experiencing it. Can you share how this came to your attention?
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Keith: I had reports first thing this morning from colleagues who monitor the majority of our incoming leads, and we had several hundred leads in that queue (more than usual for overnight). Also had a report from my colleague who manages our global reseller programs since at least one end-user complained of receiving more than a dozen emails yesterday - via Marketo - from a campaign we launched. 

So not sure why the dupe emails went out to same user, either - unless that's related somehow.

Also open to suggestions on best practices for cleaning up all the dupes within Marketo.

We have RingLead running in Marketo, but not sure that helps in terms of clean-up.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I noticed because one of my lead dev folks contacted me before I got in this morning -- otherwise I would have seen it when I checked my morning report.

My response from Marketo is that this is a SFDC problem that they are trying to address, but it is on that side.

RE: Cleaning up dupes. We had a similar problem about a month ago due to a change that our admin made in SFDC. We basically had to go through all the leads and merge them. It took a long time (at least 6 hours of my time), but that was the only way we could find to fix it.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Ann: Thanks for info on the dupes / merging. Did you need to do a manual merge via Lead Database? Any way to automate it or do in bulk? I can't imagine going through hundreds of lead records and merging each set manually. 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Keith,

I have a duplicate alert set up that sends me an alert email whenever a duplicate is create in Marketo.

On the smart list, I have the parameters:
- Lead is Created
- Duplicate Fields -> Field Name is Email Address

I had close to 200 of these alert emails...