SOLVED

Re: Salesforce campaign sync speed issues

Go to solution
gailhjohnstone
Level 1

Salesforce campaign sync speed issues

Hi All,

We are having speed issues with our program sync - it can take days for the campaign members to appear in Salesforce.

Can anyone offer advice on what we can do to improve the campaign sync speed?

Thanks 🙂

Tags (2)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Have you been experiencing sync delays recently, or has it been like this for quite some time now?

To give you some background, the Marketo program-to-campaign sync is not real-time and will take time to update. The feature is dependent on the Marketo-SFDC background bi-directional sync.

Marketo will generally sync SFDC and Marketo objects in the following order:

• Lead
  • Account
  • Contact
  • User
  • Task
  • Opportunity
  • Opportunity Contact Role
  • Campaign
  • Campaign Member
  • Campaign Member Status

As per the order, Campaign related objects are towards the bottom of the list. This means that all objects above it are synced first, and if there are any backlogs on those objects, the Campaign objects can queue up and cause delays. Here's the detailed article regarding Marketo / Salesforce Sync Limits & Priority Info if you want to give it a read. You can always check the Sync Status to see the details about the objects and data synced in Marketo Admin > Salesforce > Sync Status. If you keep seeing the campaign member sync delays albeit the other higher priority objects are not queued for sync, you can reach out to support to help investigate this.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Darshil_Shah1

Have you been experiencing sync delays recently, or has it been like this for quite some time now?

To give you some background, the Marketo program-to-campaign sync is not real-time and will take time to update. The feature is dependent on the Marketo-SFDC background bi-directional sync.

Marketo will generally sync SFDC and Marketo objects in the following order:

• Lead
  • Account
  • Contact
  • User
  • Task
  • Opportunity
  • Opportunity Contact Role
  • Campaign
  • Campaign Member
  • Campaign Member Status

As per the order, Campaign related objects are towards the bottom of the list. This means that all objects above it are synced first, and if there are any backlogs on those objects, the Campaign objects can queue up and cause delays. Here's the detailed article regarding Marketo / Salesforce Sync Limits & Priority Info if you want to give it a read. You can always check the Sync Status to see the details about the objects and data synced in Marketo Admin > Salesforce > Sync Status. If you keep seeing the campaign member sync delays albeit the other higher priority objects are not queued for sync, you can reach out to support to help investigate this.

Zoe_Forman
Level 8 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

@Darshil_Shah1Do you know if there is a way to filter and view Sync Errors in Admin using Marketo Segmentations for example by region?
Filter options are Date and Time and Error Type.

I also view Notifications to check and see if there is a patern or common errors ( Invalid field/value) again this cannot be filtered by region.

We have a global instance and 4 regions (plus subregions) so I only want to view my region errors and fix those!

Darshil_Shah1

@Zoe_Forman, unfortunately, no, this isn't something that is possible OOTB in the admin section. It'd be great to be able to view and monitor sync errors based on the person's partitions and/or filtering conditions used to segregate people into different partitions—probably a good thing to add to the ideas board if there isn't any idea about this already.

Zoe_Forman
Level 8 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

@Darshil_Shah1Thanks for confirming, yes I have added this to the ideas board, maybe I will bump it again, or raise it with the product team as a Champion suggestion.

gailhjohnstone
Level 1

Hi @Darshil_Shah1 ,

Thanks for the reply. We have had speed issues on-going for a long time now, but recently we had an issue that stopped the campaign synced. This has now fixed, but I worried about the backlog as I can see contacts that became campaign members a month ago that still haven't been added as members to the SF campaigns. 

• Looking at the sync status, which operation is responsible for pushing campaign members from Marketo programs into Salesforce campaigns via the native program sync? I can see pull, but no push under the campaign member object? What am I looking for here to understand whether program members are being passed into Salesforce campaigns?
  • We have too many fields (over 800) on the lead object that are synced with SF. Could this be a likely cause of the campaign sync speed issue?
  • We also have many marketeers using the flow step 'sync to SF campaign' rather than the native program sync. Would this impact the campaign sync speed?
  • Finally, what impact does the API capacity on the Salesforce end have? Would increasing the capacity help, and is this possible?

I've had an open ticket with Marketo support for weeks now and we still don't have a full resolution.

Darshil_Shah1

It sounds like you need to do some cleanup in your Matketo instance.

@gailhjohnstone wrote:

Hi @Darshil_Shah1 ,

Thanks for the reply. We have had speed issues on-going for a long time now, but recently we had an issue that stopped the campaign synced. This has now fixed, but I worried about the backlog as I can see contacts that became campaign members a month ago that still haven't been added as members to the SF campaigns. 

• Looking at the sync status, which operation is responsible for pushing campaign members from Marketo programs into Salesforce campaigns via the native program sync? I can see pull, but no push under the campaign member object? What am I looking for here to understand whether program members are being passed into Salesforce campaigns?

Well, pull update activity is def not the one that's pushing updates from Marketo! Since you're seeing campaign data from Salesforce syncing to Marketo- it'd be worth checking whether the Sync user has the apt rights to make updates on the Campaign-related objects (Campaign, Campaign Member, and Campaign Member Status). 

We have too many fields (over 800) on the lead object that are synced with SF. Could this be a likely cause of the campaign sync speed issue?

Well, the native sync prioritizes syncing lead/contact data over the campaign-related data, so if you have a lot of data (in the form of field data/number of lead/contact records) to sync back and forth, you'd likely see sync delays in the objects that come after the lead/contact objects in the sync-priority order (e.g., Campaign object). You should consider hiding the fields that you no longer use/need.

We also have many marketeers using the flow step 'sync to SF campaign' rather than the native program sync. Would this impact the campaign sync speed?

Well, the Sync to Salesforce Campaign flow step is an alternative way to keep the members in the Marketo program and Salesforce Campaign in Sync. Both methods, i.e., the native program-campaign sync and manual sync via flow steps have their own pros and cons, but using one or the other should not cause backlogs. In a perfect world, updates via both should sync in near real-time over to the Salesforce.

Also, as a best practice, you should consider sticking to one or the other method for keeping your program and campaign members in sync instead of using one for a few programs and the other method for the rest.

Do you see similar sync delays while syncing members using the Add to Salesforce Campaign flow step?

• Finally, what impact does the API capacity on the Salesforce end have? Would increasing the capacity help, and is this possible?

Well, syncing data over to Salesforce from Marketo via the native connector doesn't use the API from the quota you have for your custom integrations/API calls (in the Admin > Webservices).

To give you an idea, during a single sync session, Marketo makes 25 API calls to check if your Salesforce objects need updating.  Because your Salesforce sync happens in 5-minute intervals (default setting), each day Marketo makes 7200 API calls to your account to see if any updates are needed.

There's some system-level throttling used so the integration doesn't make a ton of API calls to sync the data back-and-froth, and  Salesforce determines your API call limit based on the edition and licenses you have. For many Salesforce users, particularly Enterprise Edition users, the number of API calls made by Marketo is usually not a problem. Check out this knowledgebase article on How Marketo Uses the Salesforce API