SOLVED

Salesforce Campaign Sync in a Marketo Program

Go to solution
Danielle_Wong
Level 8 - Community Advisor

Salesforce Campaign Sync in a Marketo Program

If I set up Salesforce Campaign Sync for a Marketo Program, do I have to create smart campaigns to change program status? Or will it just automatically update when a lead opens, clicks, fills out form?

Can you share any examples of your smart campaigns to do this? Do you include triggers? Or just the Change Program Status flow?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Re: Salesforce Campaign Sync in a Marketo Program

Hi Danielle Chan,

So the status' will be different for each type of program and don't always mirror the performance of emails for example.  If someone opens an email the status for an email blast program might change to Engaged.

So you would need to create smart campaigns that have triggers to change these status', For Example in and Email Blast a smart campaign might be:

opens email > clicks link & link not unsubscribed >>> Flow Step >>> Change program status > new status is: Email Blast - Engaged.

You can find all your different status' in the tags section of the admin area under Channels.

The sync between Salesforce and Marketo should be done on the program level if possible and then the status' will automatically flow and mirror in each system.  This is good for events where someone might confirm going to an event via a phone call to sales rather than fill in a form, therefore a flow step of change program status in the registered smart campaign wouldn't catch that but it the program was synced the new status in SF would flow back to Marketo.

Thanks,

Gerard

View solution in original post

22 REPLIES 22
Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Danielle Chan,

So the status' will be different for each type of program and don't always mirror the performance of emails for example.  If someone opens an email the status for an email blast program might change to Engaged.

So you would need to create smart campaigns that have triggers to change these status', For Example in and Email Blast a smart campaign might be:

opens email > clicks link & link not unsubscribed >>> Flow Step >>> Change program status > new status is: Email Blast - Engaged.

You can find all your different status' in the tags section of the admin area under Channels.

The sync between Salesforce and Marketo should be done on the program level if possible and then the status' will automatically flow and mirror in each system.  This is good for events where someone might confirm going to an event via a phone call to sales rather than fill in a form, therefore a flow step of change program status in the registered smart campaign wouldn't catch that but it the program was synced the new status in SF would flow back to Marketo.

Thanks,

Gerard

Danielle_Wong

Hi Gerard,

This is SUPER helpful! So there definitely needs to be a trigger.  I appreciate all the great information you provided.

So if the flow looked like the below for a smart campaign, the sync wouldn't work correctly? It has to look like your example with the trigger and all?

Smart List:

Member of Smart List: XXXXXXXXXXX

Flow:

flow.jpeg

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Hey Danielle,

Here is an example of how we have manage our status changes:

Separate Trigger programs

pastedImage_0.png

Trigger

pastedImage_1.png

Flow

pastedImage_2.png

I've found that using program templates and keeping the status updates in separate smart campaigns makes things easier to manage and track. I hope this helps.

Thanks!

Trevor

Danielle_Wong

Hi Trevor, this is great!

I'm thinking we might need to update our processes to look more like how you and Gerard seems to be doing it.

I provided another example of what I have set up and was curious if what I have will basically work the way your method does.

Thanks again

Hayley_Sheaffer
Level 2

i have another question for this - I send an email and had Marketo create the SFDC campaign for me, so I imagine it's syncing at the program level. I made a smart campaign to listen for click thrus. 

In the SFDC side the status of the campaign members are invited (aka sent) and my one click thru BUT I know a few should have an open status but they do not. 

Any idea why the didn't change to open? there is a channel tag set for open status at a value of 20 vs the invited sent at a value of 10.

Is it because I didn't make a smart campaign for open? 

Gerard_Donnell4
Level 10

Hi Danielle Chan​,

If all depends on the type of program you are running and the status' within that program.  Yours will probably be different than the ones below but I'm just showing these as an example. This is for an email blast and an event program.  You will probably have lots of others like Webinar

Email Blast:

Smart Campaigns:

1) Send Email Smart Campaign with Flow step after send: Change status Email Blast - Targeted

2)Engaged Smart Campaign with Flow step: If they clicked link in email and not unsubscribed link - Change status Email Blast - Engaged

Event:

This could be done numerous ways.

Smart Campaign Example:

1)Send Invite Smart Campaign with Flow step: Change Status Live Event - Invited

2)Registered Smart Campaign with Flow step: If fills in reg form …. Flow step Change status Live Event - Registered

3)Attended… Change Status Live Event -Attended

4)No Show…..

5)Cancelled….

And so on

Danielle_Wong

So under your Email Blast example.

Item #2. Is there a trigger here?

Danielle_Wong

I'm just trying to clear up some confusion I came across. In my previous reply, I provided a smart campaign I have. The smart list pulls in people in a smart list, and the flow within the smart campaign has 2 flow steps. Step 1 is to send email. Step 2 is a Change Program Status that I believe updates my Salesforce campaign.

If it makes it easier, below are screenshots of how I'm currently syncing Salesforce Campaigns. I just wanted to know if this is just another way of doing what your set up does.

smart list.jpeg

flow.jpeg

Trevor_Parsell
Level 6

Hey Danielle,

This method word work similarly if you had a long wait step (like 2 days) before the "Change Program Status" step then this would update everyone's status all at once. The problem here is that you need time for the activity to occur and you don't know when it will happen.

It works best to have trigger campaigns so you can update statuses as the activity occurs.

Thanks!