Preference Center & Duplicates - Conundrum

atrujillo
Level 1

Preference Center & Duplicates - Conundrum

I have a conundrum with my opt out.  First off, our organization has intentional duplicates. Not ideal but this is the way our implementation partner set us up, so we have custom deduplication rules in Marketo that looks at email and "company". We have multiple companies in our instance of Marketo. So there can be a scenario where two companies have the same lead (email) but we consider them unique.  

joe@joesauto.com && Company X

joe@joesauto.com && Company y

^^both considered unique in our instance

Our issue is we want to send emails to all the companies in our database so we created a preference center for each company.  If a joe@joesauto.com from company x opts out of company y, then they get opted out on the record for company x.  The challenge we are having is we may get a new list that puts joe@joesauto.com back into our data base as net new for company y.  So now company x and company y have a record in marketo. Company x has the opt out data for company y. 

Here is what I think I need to solve this issue:

1. Ability to identify that an email is a duplicate
  2. Ability to identify that one of those duplicates filled out a opt out form 
  3. Ability to run a data update that marks the non-opted out duplicate as opted out if 1 and 2 are true

I thought I could use the special filter "Duplicate Fields" to run a data update on all duplicate where Email Address is duplicate then look at those that are duplicates where one has filled out a opt out form for company y, then run a data update on those records. But there are limitations on using advance logic on "Duplicate Fields" filter.

Anyone have any suggestions?

3 REPLIES 3
Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

Re: Preference Center & Duplicates - Conundrum

@atrujillo,

I'd set up a triggered campaign on an individual changing their preferences that called a webhook.  Within the webhook itself, look back into Marketo for any other records with the same email, but a different lead ID, and then match the preferences to the original record.

When you do a list import, you could call a similar webhook that looked for any other records with the same email address and populated their preferences into the new record.

Cheers

Jo

atrujillo
Level 1

@Jo_Pitts1 

This sounds like it might do the trick.  I have never used Webhooks this way, any chance you have some suggestions on resources I can use to evaluate this option? 

Jo_Pitts1
Level 10 - Community Advisor

The tool I'd use for this is Flowboost.  A lot of Marketo users use it, and it is written by the amazing @SanfordWhiteman .

You'll need some javascript skills, and an understanding of the Marketo API to build this out.