SOLVED

Re: One nurture, two streams in parallel rather than moving one to other?

Go to solution
Shelly_Wilson
Level 3

One nurture, two streams in parallel rather than moving one to other?

Ok..so I'm trying to muddle my way through Marketo's functionality. This week I set up a nurture programme with 2 streams. The goal is to differentiate activity/engagement between two different audiences getting the exact same content. Stream 1 is for newest leads in database. Stream 2 is for the rest of the database. For both streams, I've set the trigger as 'received email', which is an email sent from a batch campaign (I created two emails with same content but different titles going to different audiences to trigger each respective stream). And then I've added additional filters to each stream's transition rules to achieve the segmentation I want (example, Stream 1 (new leads)= received webinar email for new leads, plus IS Member of previous new leads program, plus NOT member or previous 'rest of database' program. Stream 2 (rest of database)= received webinar email for rest of database, plus IS Member of previous rest of database program, plus NOT member of previous new leads program).

Then each stream is set up to get identical emails in same cadence.

Does that set up sound correct for what I'm trying to achieve? Can you use streams to send a series same content to two different audiences? Or do streams only function by moving person from Stream 1 to Stream 2?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Shelly,

In fact the, smart campaign that fire the first email is, from what I understand, seprated from the EP, since this first email is not in any stream but in another program. So, for the sake of maintenability, separate them.

• 1 smart campaign that sends your first email
  • Another smart campaign located in the EP that filters on "Was delivered email" and that adds the people to the EP. In this smart campaign that add new records to the streams, also use a "member of engagement program NOT IN [Your EP]".

As such, if in the future, you decide to change the criteria to enter you EP or if you decide to stop the EP, everything related to the EP will be contained in the EP and you very first email will remain indepandant.

Yes, of course, you can move the smart campaigns that have already fired off.

-Greg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Shelly,

A few best practices rules when using nurturing programs:

• in the smart campaigns that add persons to the streams, use iflters (batch) not triggers. Real time is not necessary here. In the “add to engagement program" flow step you can set the stream, so you do not need to add anything in the transition rules.
  • Always contain everything related to the engagement program in the engagement program. Meaning the smart campaigns that adds persons to the streams should be stored within the EP. This is for an easier maintenance
  • Do not use transition rules at all, always use smart campaigns to move people from ne stream to another. They are easier to debug and maintain and they provide more flexibility. Here as well, batch is good enough, you do not need triggers.

-Greg

Shelly_Wilson
Level 3

Thank you! So if I'm understanding you correctly I build the engagement program streams. Then I build batch campaign to fire off first email as first step in its flow AND insert Add to Engagement Program in that same flow (specifying the correct stream). Make sure the batch campaign lives inside the engagement program. Done.

One more question: In my case the batch campaigns have already fired off (Monday and Tuesday). Can I relocate it to the engagement program and add to its flow steps after the fact? Engagement program not set to launch till Thursday. If I do...will all still work as described above...or have I missed my chance this go-round?

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Shelly,

In fact the, smart campaign that fire the first email is, from what I understand, seprated from the EP, since this first email is not in any stream but in another program. So, for the sake of maintenability, separate them.

• 1 smart campaign that sends your first email
  • Another smart campaign located in the EP that filters on "Was delivered email" and that adds the people to the EP. In this smart campaign that add new records to the streams, also use a "member of engagement program NOT IN [Your EP]".

As such, if in the future, you decide to change the criteria to enter you EP or if you decide to stop the EP, everything related to the EP will be contained in the EP and you very first email will remain indepandant.

Yes, of course, you can move the smart campaigns that have already fired off.

-Greg

Shelly_Wilson
Level 3

That seems to have worked! Can now see members in the Engagement program for the first time since the emails sent earlier this week. Thank you for your help!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

You are welcome.

Please mark the question as answered.

-Greg