SOLVED

Managing user permissions / roles and approval processes

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Managing user permissions / roles and approval processes

Hello Marketo Community,

I am hoping for suggestions around managing user permissions for a growing user base.  My company is on Select edition (1 partition, 1 workspace, etc.) and we now have almost 30 users.

The situation gets tricky because we have users of varying degrees of skill/experience, and our users are all over the US, Canada and Europe.  So while we do a good job of sharing resources and best practices, I am hoping to hear how other Marketo admins manage user activity.

We do leverage user roles, but I am finding some of the permissions to be more rigid than I would like.  For example, I would like our users to be able to build emails and landing pages in Marketing Activities and only use Design Studio for templates, but if I turn off emails and landing pages as a permission it turns it off system-wide.  Another wish list item for me would be for some users to "request manager approval" at the schedule campaign tab, rather than just being able to schedule it (or not at all).

Are other admins out there feeling underwhelmed by lack of permissions settings?  How are you guys dealing with this stuff?  I feel like our best (only?) option is to constantly have internal meetings on approved processes, etc.

Feedback much appreciated!  Thanks!

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Managing user permissions / roles and approval processes

I'm in the same boat. Everytime I train a new user my stomach is in knots hoping they won't mess anything up. I've developed some pretty extensive manuals for how we use Marketo, but the permissions flexibility within the different roles would be amazing. So would the "request manager approval" step. 

You should put those in "ideas" for sure!

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm in the same boat. Everytime I train a new user my stomach is in knots hoping they won't mess anything up. I've developed some pretty extensive manuals for how we use Marketo, but the permissions flexibility within the different roles would be amazing. So would the "request manager approval" step. 

You should put those in "ideas" for sure!
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the feedback, I will definitely do that.  I might even lobby for extra 'likes' hah
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

I think there are ideas on improving the admin capabilities.

But have as many Roles as you need:
  • Advanced/Standard/Newbie
  • by Role and Skill Level
  • and by Region/WS/LP permission
I'd rather have someone complain they need access then tell me 1,000,000 emails went out to the wrong list. You can also setup an approval process such that newbies and certain people have to forward a campaign to an approver.

Marketo has a 4 eyes method where campaign managers are paired up to prevent errors.
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

For the future searchers and readers of this post, one of the things you also need to add is a self training partition and self training workspace. These 2 will work together and beginners should only have access to them, until their have received minimum training. You may upload a few leads from a seed list with fake email addresses in this partitions, so that you have enough to play with.

-Greg