Management of instances

Anonymous
Not applicable

Management of instances

Hi,

We have different instance in order to do customizations, testings and production.

My concern that we have build all staff in developement instance, and we would like to copy past to another instance to do testing, we don't know how we do it or if it's possible to do it, to avoid to rebuild everything in each instance.

Thank you,

10 REPLIES 10
Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Re: Management of instances

Hi,

Ask support to make the development instance available as a program import source from your testing instance and then ask them also to make the test instance available as a program import source from the production instance.

This will enable you to transfert programs and all their content (forms, landing pages, emails, smart lists, smart campaigns, etc...). You will be also able to transfer associated elements such as templates and channel definitions.

-Greg

Geoff_Krajeski1
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Grégoire Michel

Is this similar to SFDC where you can "promote" Sandbox content to your production environment?

This would be most helpful when building programs, scoring models, etc, and then not having to rebuild everything in our production instance!

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Geoffrey,

To some extend, yes, it is similar to ChangeSet in SFDC, although very simplistic. And you can only transfert programs, not individual elements such as a Smart Campaign or a Landing page. You cannot transfer any data, either.

There are a few things that I have not tried such as transferring a program that contains a smart campaign which calls a webhook.

If the transfer fails, you will be notified by email of the detailed error. Read the error message carefully, it can be tricky (such as a small difference in a field name).

-Greg

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Gregory,

Thank you for your answer I will contact support to do that.

Did you do it in one of your projects ? is it works well ?

Thank you,

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Hicham,

Yes we did it many times and it worked well 🙂

The only issue is for programs that share Forms, Landing Pages or Emails from the design studio, we have observed some issues (the program would not import correctly to the target instance).

-Greg

PS : I go by Grégoire or Greg, not Gregory

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Greg,

Thanks a lot, it's too helpful for us.

Do you think if we can transfer folders instead of programs? If Marketo activate this feature, how it works to transfer those programs ? do you have any button to select programs that you would like to transfer ?

Thank you,

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Hicham,

No you cannot transfer whole folders, only programs one by one.

Pay attention if you use folder level tokens, they will not be transferred and you should recreate them PRIOR to transfer to avoid weird issues with token deletion later.

The way it works is excaly the same as program import from Marketo Program templates. Go to the TARGET instance, in the marketing activities and click on "new" -> "Import program". The source instances will appear here. Select it, then select the program to import.

-Greg

Andy_Varshneya1
Level 9

One note I would add to this is that as far as I know, you can only push to the sandbox, not vice versa.

Grégoire_Miche2
Level 10

Hi Andy,

In fact, you do not PUSH, you PULL (Import from another instance). The direction in which you can do it depends on how the support sets it up.

We have already been able to do it :

• from sandbox to production
  • from production to production

We never tried from production to sandbox, but maybe the Support can set this up as well.

-Greg