Re: Make a Marketo Form Submission in the Background via submitting external form

Yavor_Todorov
Level 3

Make a Marketo Form Submission in the Background via submitting external form

Hello,

we are following this guide: https://developers.marketo.com/blog/make-a-marketo-form-submission-in-the-background/ and we were wondering if we need to have an API user and a Launchpoint custom service created and make a REST API integration between both systems? Or it would all work without such integration?

Thanks,

Yavor

4 REPLIES 4
SaurabhGoyal_GN
Level 4

Re: Make a Marketo Form Submission in the Background via submitting external form

Hi @Yavor_Todorov - I would like to confirm that you dont need any API user ot launchpoint service to use the concept of background form submission in Marketo. 

Make sure that field names and values are setup correctly. You have to use SOAP api names of the fields in setup. 

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

@Yavor_Todorov, you don't need an API user to do this, as this method uses the Marketo Forms2.0 Javascript to make the form submissions instead of the conventional REST API endpoints of Marketo. There's no need to authenticate the calls you make to Marketo (for which you need an API user and a service associated with it) in this method, unlike REST API calls. Just for the sake of completeness, there's also a POST form submit REST API endpoint that you can use to register the form submit using the API; however, that method isn't superior to the background form submission because the former easily hits the bottleneck w.r.t. the API quota and other limits associated with it. You just add the JS to load, add the hidden fields (use SOAP API names of the fields; you can find the SOAP API names by exporting the field names from the Admin > Field Management section), and make a programmatic form submission to the Marketo form when the user fills out the non-Marketo form on the website. I hope this helps and answers your question. Please let us know if you have any additional questions.

Yavor_Todorov
Level 3

Thanks both for the support, I get it now. I was thinking if this way everything is secure, because it theory each person with the JS/HTML code can submit a form to our instance without any authentication/approval.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Thanks both for the support, I get it now. I was thinking if this way everything is secure, because it theory each person with the JS/HTML code can submit a form to our instance without any authentication/approval.

Well, a demand gen/lead gen form — or any HTML form not used specifically as a login form or form within an app! — always works this way. Form posts are not authenticated.