lead SFDC Id is sending me to Contact instead of Lead in Salesforce

RaulEr
Level 4

lead SFDC Id is sending me to Contact instead of Lead in Salesforce

Hi, I'm using https://mycompany.my.salesforce.com/{{lead.SFDC Id}} to send a Slack message with the lead info in Salesforce. However, that link is sending me to the Contact record instead of the Lead.

Is there a fix for this?

6 REPLIES 6
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: lead SFDC Id is sending me to Contact instead of Lead in Salesforce

Why do you need to access the lead record post its conversion? To give some background, after a Lead is converted in Salesforce, the Lead record becomes "unsearchable" in the traditional sense, unless the user has permission to access the Converted Leads. All the updates post conversion are almost in all the cases done on the newly created Contact record going forward.

RaulEr
Level 4

Hi @Darshil_Shah1 thanks for the reply.

Well, basically, the sales rep has to do some work on the lead first, before converting it into an Opportunity (that's the explanation from the sales team). 

But still, if I use {{lead.SFDC Id}}, then it should send me to the lead record instead of the contact record, right?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

This chronology doesn’t make sense, though. You wouldn’t be looking at the Converted Lead after converting it to a Contact + Opportunity.

Darshil_Shah1

I agree with Sandy here! Why would you want to update the converted lead when you can (and should) update the contact record that gets created when the lead record is converted? Opportunities are added to the contact record only, and not to the converted lead record. So users should ideally be referring to and updating the contact record post the conversion of the lead record.

RaulEr
Level 4

Thanks @Darshil_Shah1 @SanfordWhiteman !

So, there is no way to create a link to the actual lead object instead of the contact object? And, a lead cannot be converted into an Opportunity, this is only available in the contact object, right?

Thanks!

Darshil_Shah1

The {{lead.SFDC id}} token would always reference the lead/contact record with which the Marketo’s person record is currently syncing. I’m curious to know why you want to reference the converted lead record rather than referencing the contact record. To me, it doesn’t make a lot of sense for the sales team needs to reference both converted lead and contact records. The opportunity is associated with the contact record- which is also in sync with Marketo. Also, lead/contact records aren’t converted to opportunity records in Salesforce- rather they are associated with an existing or new opportunity record in SFDC. This association activity when syncs with Marketo, updates the person stage to opportunity stages in most implementations.