Re: Is anyone logging custom activities from a mobile application, and if so, what type of activities are you logging?

Anonymous
Not applicable

Is anyone logging custom activities from a mobile application, and if so, what type of activities are you logging?

We would like to add custom activities via the API based on user behaviors in our native mobile application (which is geared toward providing content).  

http://developers.marketo.com/documentation/rest/add-custom-activities/

I'm curious if anyone has done this and what type of activities you're logging.  I know it's very app-specific, but I just want to make sure I am considering the possibilities.  

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Is anyone logging custom activities from a mobile application, and if so, what type of activities are you logging?

I would really caution against using the REST API as a proxy for client activity.  With 10,000 calls per day (unless you upgrade) and limits on calls/minute it's clearly not designed to be used in such a tightly coupled fashion (where one client action = one API action) but rather for offline and/or batch activity.

Have you looked at the mobile SDK?.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Since we have not launched our app yet, I expect the 10,000 calls per day to be sufficient while we ramp up users.  My plan was to switch to Marketo Mobile Engagement once we have a solid user base (since it's an upgrade -- at least, that's my understanding).
SanfordWhiteman

Fair enough. Just be clear on the limits and that a malicious user can use up those calls... it's not just a matter of legit use. From a security standpoint, anything metered should be kept out of the direct control of users. Anyway... as far as the events to log, anything that represents further engagement that isn't a "click" per se? I mean, this could be filling out credit card info, earning a badge, referring a friend in-app, viewing the help, uploading a cached database... what does your app do?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hrmmm.  I see what you're saying about security. I need to think about that more.

The app is targeted toward financial advisors and will offer a library of presentations and other content that they can use when meeting with their clients (primary use is for tablet, although it will be available on smartphone, but more for informational purposes).  Their favorite pieces can be stored for easy access and offline use.  This content can also be shared with their clients.  It will also be used by our sales team.

Thanks for the suggestions on what to capture.  That helps.

SanfordWhiteman

Good luck!  I think you can figure out some interesting moments if you huddle with sales. I can't offer up anything generic.

Another thing to consider is that you can use Munchkin from a native app with no communications limits.  Of course then all activities need to be surfaced as Clicked Link or Visited Web Page which aren't semantically accurate for native apps, but they can be (to some degree) understandable, i.e. Clicked Link: /Send-Email-To-Client?email=allisonj@example.com
Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Really good discussion here.  We're in a similar situation.  Our events team has built a custom mobile app to be used at select off-site events (it's a "Digital Dinner" app that allows users to register for the event, select their menu options, check into the event, and engage with campaign-specific content (when they click on this content, they are taken to our website)). 

I'm meeting with our development team this week to discuss how we can integrate this activity into Marketo.  Is all of the information needed contained on the Marketo Developer site?  Sanford Whiteman​, how is Munchkin integrated within the app?  I couldn't find this on the developer site.  Also, are you saying when a user taps on an item - e.g., a link to the content page on our website - that's not considered a regular "click"?

SanfordWhiteman

Is all of the information needed contained on the Marketo Developer site?

Depends.  If you simply run Munchkin in a (hidden) web view, it's a straightforward use of the Munchkin API. If you make your own HTTP requests to the Munchkin endpoints, it takes some tinkering.  But the API is very simple.  Like any analytics API, once you get rid of the browser-compatibility chaff, the async Ajax library, the event listeners, and so on, you find a standard tracking pixel.

Sanford Whiteman, how is Munchkin integrated within the app?  I couldn't find this on the developer site.  Also, are you saying when a user taps on an item - e.g., a link to the content page on our website - that's not considered a regular "click"?

A tap within a native app wouldn't be logged as a Munchkin hit by itself, unless that tap were within an embedded web view (just like in a Windows desktop app: standard UI buttons aren't connected to the web, but if the app happens to use an embedded IE instance, it's more like clicking on a web page).

If the app actually opens a page in the device browser (Mobile Safari or Android Browser) then you don't need to do anything within the app at all, as the logging would happen in the browser as it usually does.