Integrating GA4 with Marketo via API for Reporting

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Integrating GA4 with Marketo via API for Reporting

Hello,

Does anyone know if it's possible to integrate GA4 with Marketo via an API connection to pull in email reports? I understand we can use utm parameters in our email links, which we are doing, but we would like to directly connect our existing email performance, link performance, etc. reports to GA4 with the goal of building a repository of data year over year. As it stands in Marketo, email sent data is only saved for 90 days, after which time it's no longer available. We heavily depend upon our email reports to track year over year success of our campaigns for strategic planning, prioritizing and making improvements to our campaigns, and not having this data readily available is a huge hindrance for us.

Thank you,

LK

3 REPLIES 3
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: Integrating GA4 with Marketo via API for Reporting

IMO, Google Analytics is more meant for your web analytics data. I'm not saying that you technically can't load your email performance data and build reports in it, but that might be a lift in terms of building and managing the custom integration with Marketo, unlike platforms like Tableau which can integrate with Marketo OOTB to extract the activity data out of it.

To give some idea, you can use Marketo's Bulk Extract Activities API to extract the email activities data out of Marketo and feed it to GA4. Another way to transfer email metrics and activities from Marketo to Google Analytics is to use a third-party integration platform, but with middleware, as you'd probably know, you'd be limited to things that it supports as compared to building a custom connector using platform APIs.

When it comes to moving data around, I usually recommend following these best practices:

• Plan your transfer carefully. Before you start transferring your data, it is important to plan your transfer carefully. This includes deciding which email metrics and activities you want to transfer, and how you want to transfer them.
  • Test your transfer. Once you have planned your transfer, it is important to test your transfer to make sure that it is working properly. This includes testing the data that is being transferred and the way that the data is being transferred.
  • Monitor your transfer. Once you have started transferring your data, it is important to monitor your transfer to make sure that it is still working properly. This includes monitoring the data that is being transferred and the performance of the transfer.

Also, I’d like to mention here that email performance data, especially the clicks and opens are usually not a very good measure of success due to email scanners and bots. I think more solid engagement data such as form fills, progress through the funnel, etc. are a better source of overall marketing success.

datajoin
Level 1

@Guitarrista82 I agree with what a lot of what @Darshil_Shah1 mentioned. Personally I would dump it all into a data warehouse to store it long term, combine with other data, build reporting on top of, etc.

That said, I understand that some teams will use their web analytics as a central repository of marketing data. If you are still interested in sending your Marketo email metrics into GA4 via API connection, I'd be happy to talk to you through the process.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

@datajoin just note that self-promotion (incl. offers of offline assistance from vendors or service providers) is prohibited here on the Nation.