SOLVED

How to measure and record routes where customer came from

Go to solution
Hashimo
Level 1

How to measure and record routes where customer came from

Hi members,

I'm wondering the way to record routes (google organic / google cpc / direct / email / or so) where customer came from.

If someone here knows how to set on the Marketo engage, I would glad to teach me the way.

Thanks, Keiji

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Katja_Keesom
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: How to measure and record routes where customer came from

Hi Keiji,

Generally I would set up a program that captures your source in  the Person Source / Lead Source field (it is named a bit inconsistently in the UI but is the same thing). Information you can use to identify the correct source is:

• Any utm source data you capture from form fills
  • Person being created from CRM
  • Original referrer
  • Original Search Engine
  • Original Source Type
  • Source Type on Person Creation activity

You define your own hierarchy of sources and stamp the field once and don't overwrite, so you keep the original source as a fixed value always. As you can see Marketo captures a lot of information, but you need to define for yourself which of these datapoints is the most important one to define what your source is.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
Katja_Keesom

Hi Keiji,

Generally I would set up a program that captures your source in  the Person Source / Lead Source field (it is named a bit inconsistently in the UI but is the same thing). Information you can use to identify the correct source is:

• Any utm source data you capture from form fills
  • Person being created from CRM
  • Original referrer
  • Original Search Engine
  • Original Source Type
  • Source Type on Person Creation activity

You define your own hierarchy of sources and stamp the field once and don't overwrite, so you keep the original source as a fixed value always. As you can see Marketo captures a lot of information, but you need to define for yourself which of these datapoints is the most important one to define what your source is.

Hashimo
Level 1

Hi Katja,

Thank you for your reply!
In addition to your answers, I would like to know how can I record Lead Source to the field I choose.

I have already recorded Lead Source such as Mail and Listing Ads by setting utm parameter, but I haven't recorded Original Search Engine which I can't set parameters.

II would like to know procedure to record above.

Katja_Keesom

This field is automatically populated by Marketo.