Re: How do you create a Munchkin API call to track video plays?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do you create a Munchkin API call to track video plays?

To call the API for a web event such as video play, do you have to create a separate javascript code for each webpage or landing page that has a video on it? Or what type of URL do you need to input in the bolded section below (found this basic code template in the developers marketo website)? Would we put this code inside, below, or above the existing munchkin tracking code in our landing page templates and website? Where can we get a basic template of the javascript code so we can pass to our developers to create the code?

mktoMunchkinFunction('visitWebPage', { url: document.location.path, params: 'playedVideo=true' }); 

Thanks,

Shirleen

29 REPLIES 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

Shirleen Solares​ FYI. I moved your post to the Products and Support​ section of the site -- you will get an answer there faster.

Also, I noticed you have a few accounts on the site. Can you put the word 'Primary' next to your title so we know which one is your primary email address and account. You can see my profile and how I added the word 'Primary' next to my title.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Shirleen, I posted this demo a while back: MktoMunchkin :: YouTube Player API - JSFiddle

You should also search the Community for "YouTube".

Anonymous
Not applicable

Sanford Whiteman, this is brilliant - thank you very much for creating and sharing this!  It's simple, easy to follow JavaScript that really gets the job done.

SanfordWhiteman

Glad it worked for you.  Thanks for the tag!

KanakoTone
Level 5

Hi,

I modified your script only the part for Munchkin.init('   ') and videoID = '   ' in the third section. It is tracking that I clicked the link, but it doesn't track my behavior as below (I played the video only half and paused). What else needs to be fixed in your script?

screenshot marketo.jpg

Also, just double-checking, but since this script calls the youtube player, we don't need to insert video element on the landing page. Is it right?

SanfordWhiteman

What else needs to be fixed in your script?

You'd have to provide a link to your page for me to look at.

Also, just double-checking, but since this script calls the youtube player, we don't need to insert video element on the landing page. Is it right?

That's right.

KanakoTone
Level 5

This is the link http://go.passageways.com/eDiscovery_Series.html

I still have video content and youtube player together. I'm seeking a way to keep social share icons under the youtube player. 

SanfordWhiteman

OK, thanks. I won't be able to look at it for several hours but will post back.

KanakoTone
Level 5

Thank you! In that case, please use this link http://go.passageways.com/Short-Video---eDiscovery-Series_What-is-eDiscovery2.html

We have to start using the earlier one from today, so this is the cloned one with the tracking code. I appreciate your help!