SOLVED

How do we track clicks for a specific offer using Tel link tokens?

Go to solution
Guitarrista82
Level 6

How do we track clicks for a specific offer using Tel link tokens?

Hi Community,

My company started as a call center and still generates a lot of revenue from calls.

The problem is, how do we track clicks on specific offers on our "Call To" links which use tokens?

For example, below we're offering a 7-Night river trip and below that a Hawaiian islands trip. Both CTA use my tokens which are set up like this: tel:+1-800-822-4368

Is it possible to add a utm param to the token to track or would that break the token/link and/or Marketo tracking?

Tel links on specific offers.png

Thanks,

LK

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

Re: How do we track clicks for a specific offer using Tel link tokens?

Interpretation of tel: link with an unexpected query string indeed varies by platform. The reason why we include 'mktNoTok' in the class of the tel links. For example, for me, the parameters come through okay when I view the email in the web Gmail on my Desktop. However, the parameters don't come through correctly as a part of the URL on my mobile's Gmail app.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Darshil_Shah1

Interpretation of tel: link with an unexpected query string indeed varies by platform. The reason why we include 'mktNoTok' in the class of the tel links. For example, for me, the parameters come through okay when I view the email in the web Gmail on my Desktop. However, the parameters don't come through correctly as a part of the URL on my mobile's Gmail app.

Sunshine1
Level 1

Thanks @Darshil_Shah1 , that makes sense. 

It sounds like it's not possible to track clicks on tel: links then?

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

You can’t track tel: links and also expect them to be functional (i.e. open the phone app and dial).

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Thanks @SanfordWhiteman.

Disregarding adding UTM parameters, if I have the tel: link token configured as shown below, with Track Link & Include mkt_tkn boxes checked and someone clicks on these links in their email, will their clicks be included in a Marketo Email Link performance report?

Guitarrista82_0-1687802351756.png

I'm assuming not as the reports I've reviewed only show website links that were clicked:

Guitarrista82_0-1687802738300.png

Darshil_Shah1

Well, as I mentioned earlier, you'd not want to have the "Include mkt_tok" checkbox checked (or have "mktNoTok" in the class of the <a> tag). Having just the "Track Link" check box should be fine w.r.t. tracking clicks in the person activity log.

Darshil_Shah1_1-1687808288349.png

Also, I tested this in my Sandbox, and I see the tel links in the person activity log and the email link performance report. See the below snapshot:

Darshil_Shah1_0-1687808105621.png

Do you see the Click Link activity for tel links in the person activity log? Please use the Send Email for sending email, and not the send sample email.

Guitarrista82
Level 6

Ah, understood, Darshil. Thanks.

I am now seeing the clicks recorded in the report after unchecking mkt_tok. However, I clicked on the link more than 2 times and those clicks aren't registering? Any idea why that might be?

Guitarrista82_0-1687811845415.png

Darshil_Shah1

Do you see those additional click activities in the person activity log too? If they are there, but not coming up in the report, then you might want to look at the report’s setup and art list to ensure it’s set correctly to report on all the clicks. 

Darshil_Shah1

Yeah- that’s correct. Some phone applications may ignore the parameters altogether, others may not be able to open Phone app, while others may have custom functionality to handle them. The behavior of the parameters in tel links would not be consistent across different platforms or applications.

Guitarrista82
Level 6

That makes sense, thank you Darshil!