Re: How do I know if a lead has been cookied?

Autumn_Mahoney1
Level 3

How do I know if a lead has been cookied?

What fields are best to tell me if a lead has ever had a cookie?

Has visited a web page (only kept for 90 days)

Has an original referrer

Has a web interesting moment

?

7 REPLIES 7
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

There isn't an easy way to do this out-of-the-box. You could definitely write some custom code to record some additional info when a lead is cookied on your website or landing pages, but there isn't a field that you could look at to see if the lead had ever, in the past, been cookied. The suggestions you gave could be great proxies for your needs. You could even do a routine dump of all leads that have visited a webpage in the last 45 days, for example. Or modify their lead record in some way to help you track that.

Justin

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

I think Anonymous IP is not Empty would accomplish this actually.  It's not a guarantee that the client still has a valid cookie, as this is dependent on the particular device a client is using and can be purged or interrupted by any number of processes on the client side, but it is indicative that the lead was known at some point.

Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Autumn,

I would use the "visited webpage" filter and include all webpages that you have placed Munchkin code on. All resulting leads have to have been cookied in order for you to know they visited a web page at all.

Make a note that the Munchkin cookie lasts 90 days, so you will need to cookie the lead once again for the 90 day countdown to restart.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Make a note that the Munchkin cookie lasts 90 days, so you will need to cookie the lead once again for the 90 day countdown to restart.

The Munchkin cookie lasts 2 years without activity by default, not 90 days.

The 90 days refers to the aging of the activity log.

I think "Had web interesting moment" is the most promising of these.

Devraj_Grewal
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Interesting. I was told by Support a while back that we needed to cookie leads once every 90 days because the cookie only lasts 90 days.

Kenny_Elkington
Marketo Employee

Sanford is right here.   There was probably confusion over data retention vs the cookie lifetime.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Nope, that would kill companies with a long sales cycle. You can shorten the cookie lifetime but 90d is just shooting yourself in the foot.

You do, however, have to do something in response to web activities (IM, program status change, etc.) as those will age out.