Re: How do I create gated content accessible by filling out a form?

Anonymous
Not applicable

How do I create gated content accessible by filling out a form?

We want to drive whitepaper downloads through social media and be able to collect email addresses, name, company etc. from a form that has to be filled out to gain access to the papers. Also, we do not want for it to be a URL that can be forwarded and give instant access to anyone who clicks, we want for anyone viewing the whitepapers to have filled out a contact form. IT should run similarly to this: Rapid Application Delivery Platform for the Enterprise | OutSystems 

14 REPLIES 14
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Please move the thread to Products and someone will answer it there. "Community" is for website feedback, not product support -- and yes, this is confusing!

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

There's a brief discussion here on how to prevent those that didn't register to have access to a confirmation/thank-you page: Block from accessing a Thank-You page/confirmation page directly

Anonymous
Not applicable

So from that it looks like there is no way to create a page that can only be accessed by filling out a form.. that’s disappointing

SanfordWhiteman

There's actually no such thing (anywhere on the web) as a page that [a] doesn't require pre-shared authentication, i.e. username and password or some kind of signature, yet [b] can't be accessed by someone who knows the full URL.

You can definitely prevent casual visitors from happening upon a Thank You page without filling out a form first: check to see if the referrer URL is the LP.  But a malicious visitor can just forge their referrer... that's just browser reality.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the info. I really appreciate the quick responses.. can you tell me the best way to get close to doing this… in layman’s terms

SanfordWhiteman

Since you probably only care about whether the referrer exists and is at one of your known domains (as opposed to really caring about the full referrer URL, since if someone is going to maliciously fake their referrer, they can fake the pagename part just as easily), you can put this <SCRIPT> in the <HEAD> of your Thank You page:

<script>

(function(){

var fallbackURL = 'http://www.example.com',

allowedReferrerHosts = ['pages.example.com','pages.someotherexample.com'],

referrerLoc = document.createElement('A');

if ( document.referrer ) { referrerLoc.href = document.referrer; };

if ( allowedReferrerHosts.indexOf(referrerLoc.hostname) == -1 ) { document.location.href = fallbackURL; };

})();

</script>

allowedReferrerHostnames is an array (think comma-delimited list, for your purposes) of the hostnames the person is allowed to come from, i.e. your LP domain(s).

If the lead comes from anywhere else, they are redirected to the fallbackURL.

SanfordWhiteman

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Emily Stone , we all deal with this question, and it's best to address it in a way that's not a nuisance to users. A 403 access denied error usually means they'll just give up, rather than go out of their way to find your landing page and convert.

1 thing to always keep in mind, people will send your whitepaper (PDF, usually) to other people more often than they send a link to a landing page. That means you really want your PDF to end with a call to action directing interested readers to visit a web page with another piece of valuable content where some of them might convert.

I also ended up developing my own tool (product now), which tracks every page on our site being emailed or skyped. In practice, this means that someone emailing our whitepaper page to a coworker flags in my system as person A referring content X to person B. While I may not have person B in my Marketo database, that flow of information (referral of content to more appropriate person) is much more valuable to my sales team than just another name on the WP conversion campaign.

SanfordWhiteman

Hi Emily Stone , we all deal with this question, and it's best to address it in a way that's not a nuisance to users. A 403 access denied error usually means they'll just give up, rather than go out of their way to find your landing page and convert.

But who said anything about a 403?

I also ended up developing my own tool (product now), which tracks every page on our site being emailed or skyped. In practice, this means that someone emailing our whitepaper page to a coworker flags in my system as person A referring content X to person B.

"Person B" will be anonymous if you're not re-gating the content, so sounds like you're logging the out-of-band pageviews of a unique URL (i.e. a page that cannot exist in any other context but lead-specific Form → Thank You).