SOLVED

Google reCaptcha V3 webhook question

Go to solution
Jaredjo02
Level 2

Google reCaptcha V3 webhook question

Hi,

Watched the @SanfordWhiteman  video on setting up reCaptcha and am about 90% of the way there. In the last minutes you mentioned the V2 of the webhook which includes the Error Code as a response. So does this 2nd webhook become the one that gets pulled into the Verify ReCaptcha smart campaign? Does this replace the 1st webhook or do we need them both?

Also, it looks like you created a custom type of Interesting moment? And I think you said I can just use Request camapign for all the other affected form campaigns (and start each one with Campaign is requested?)

Thank you in advance.

Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Google reCaptcha V3 webhook question

7 REPLIES 7
SanfordWhiteman

Hi, you’d only need one webhook BUT have you looked into using Marketo’s built-in support for reCAPTCHA v3? This didn’t exist when that webinar was recorded. It’s likely to be easier for you to deploy, although note it doesn’t work if you use Known Visitor HTML.

Jaredjo02
Level 2

I got pretty far with the previous method and we do have known visitor on one set of forms though we don't have to keep it.  With Marketo's built in, do you just use the three CATCHA fields that show up with Marketo? (Provider, Normalized Score, Raw Score) and follow the same principles about blocking those with the lower score?

Darshil_Shah1
Level 10 - Community Advisor + Adobe Champion

@Jaredjo02, FYR - here's the product documentation on setting the OOTB reCAPTCHA v3 in Marketo.

Jaredjo02
Level 2

Thanks, I have completed all that - I was hoping there was documentation on the smart campaigns that would mark them as good or bad so we could block all the bad before they go any further.

SanfordWhiteman

Blane from Marketo just wrote this up: Application of the CAPTCHA Integration

Jaredjo02
Level 2

Thanks to everyone, I have enough to make this work now!

michelle-WO
Level 2

Hi there,

I second the recommendation that the newer Marketo CAPTCHA integration may work better for your purposes. 

If you decide to go the Marketo CAPTCHA integration route over the webhook, your form fill activities will each have those three new attributes from any forms where CAPTCHA is enabled - CAPTCHA Provider, Normalized Score, and Raw Score. To be clear, just by enabling CAPTCHA on Marketo forms, you are not protected from bots automatically. Out of the box, nothing will happen in Marketo based on the CAPTCHA results. They probably built it this way because every business will be different in terms of how they want to handle suspicious leads -- some businesses may want to delete them outright, some may want to prevent them from receiving any emails but keep them in the database, etc. In other words, you must decide whether to isolate, delete records, or simply monitor the results that come through on the evaluation -- then, based on that business decision, you can configure your smart campaigns.

I would start by setting up the Marketo CAPTCHA integration, testing it, and ensuring you are getting data from fills out form activities. Once you establish that the data is coming through, you can build a fairly simple mechanism to sort people’s form fill activities by the normalized score. Perhaps you handle all trusted records normally, you put any suspicious leads into a static list for review, and you configure an alert for any errors.

Recently, I have set up a unique trigger campaign for each potential normalized score result -- fills out form where normalized score = trusted/suspicious/any of the error codes -- then in the flow, add those records to the static list aligned with the normalized score. From there, I set up a list subscription to monitor suspicious results -- but you could configure any number of additional activities (alerts, change data value for marketing suspended, etc.), and it all just depends on what you want to do with those records.

Good luck with your CAPTCHA implementation,

Michelle Wilfong-Oliphant | Senior Consultant, Etumos