SOLVED

Form Entry to Custom Field to Webinar Event - Data with Multiple Registrations Same Lead?

Go to solution
nhabischWings
Level 5

Form Entry to Custom Field to Webinar Event - Data with Multiple Registrations Same Lead?

Hello,
We're looking at moving our event registrations from our Kentico CMS to Marketo to take advantage of automating emails and integration with Zoom.

I know that form fields tie to a specific Custom Field like "First Name" and this gets added to the program data for that Lead's registration. My question is: If a Lead registers for Event A with a First Name of "Bob" and then registers for Event B with a First Name of "Bill" within the program data of Event A, would the First Name of that Lead be changed/updated to "Bill"?

We tend to have multiple events and webinars running at the same time and someone could possibly register for more than one. Our departments like to have the registration data, so I'm looking into how to handle data if a Lead registers for more than one active event?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Form Entry to Custom Field to Webinar Event - Data with Multiple Registrations Same Lead?

If it was a genuine Custom Field like "How Did You Hear About this Event?" and there's a possibility that someone could potentially fill out form fields tied to this Custom Field more than once - Do you have a suggestion on the best way to be able to retain values?

Make it a Program Member field when you create it in Admin » Field Management, not a Person field. That’s what PMCFs are for!

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Arturo_Olivares
Level 2

Re: Form Entry to Custom Field to Webinar Event - Data with Multiple Registrations Same Lead?

Hi!

The answer is yes, the lead's information will be updated every time the lead fills out the form.

Marketo will recognize the email address (which is the key field) and then will update the information in the database.

My suggestion is to make the user experience the easiest way possible so they can fill out the form quickly without changing a lot of information, for example, you can use the dynamic content to show a short form for people you already have in your database and a large one for unknown people.

hope this helps.

Regards!

SanfordWhiteman

I know that form fields tie to a specific Custom Field like "First Name" and this gets added to the program data for that Lead's registration.

That isn’t the way I’d phrase it.

A form field can update a Person field or a Program Member field (a.k.a. Program Data).

If you update the standard (not custom!) Person field First Name that doesn’t “get added to the program data”. It’s stored with the Person record. Not the Program Member record.

If you block updates to First Name from form fills, then their first non-empty value will remain. They won’t be able to update their First Name anymore, from any form.

nhabischWings
Level 5

Ah yes, sorry "First Name" was probably a bad choice of example.

If it was a genuine Custom Field like "How Did You Hear About this Event?" and there's a possibility that someone could potentially fill out form fields tied to this Custom Field more than once - Do you have a suggestion on the best way to be able to retain values?

Apologies if I totally mis-understood your reply 🙂

SanfordWhiteman

Make it a Program Member field when you create it in Admin » Field Management, not a Person field. That’s what PMCFs are for!

nhabischWings
Level 5

Got it, thank you!!

Arturo_Olivares
Level 2

Another way to do it is using the "Interest moments", By changing the interest moments you will be able to create a lead history and it will be visible to your sales team on the CRM.

for example: "Webinar | Customer Source: LinkedIn"

It creates a good context for sales like this:

Arturo_Olivares_0-1704924639563.png

SanfordWhiteman

True, although that requires a Sales Insight license for every salesperson.

Program Member fields in Marketo can be synced to Campaign Member fields in SFDC, with no additional cost.

Also, Interesting Moments are not permanent (they expire after 2 years) nor tied to a particular program (though you can add the {{program.name}} to the IM text).