Re: For those of you on Corona (part of Project Orion), are you experiencing issues like this?

Dan_Stevens_
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

For those of you on Corona (part of Project Orion), are you experiencing issues explained here?

Supposedly, if your DB size is greater than 1M records, Marketo automatically moves you to this so called enhanced architecture (that's ultimately related to Project Orion) - called "Corona".  We didn't even realize we were on it until several critical issues with our data surfaced this week - and reaching out to Support confirmed Corona could be the culprit (major delays in processing smart lists and smart campaigns).  The other question we're waiting to hear about is why we were even placed on Corona - since our DB size is less than 200,000 records.  Here's an example issue that we uncovered this evening:

I just ran a single flow action ("change data value") against a set of 96 email addresses (11 of those leads had their country properly defined, but I left them in here anyway since they would just be skipped) .  All I did was populate the country value (to Brazil) of any lead that had a missing country value.  The flow action completed successfully – and if you access the lead record of any of the leads, you can see that the country value is indeed “Brazil”.  Yet when I view the leads at once, many have NULL country values:

pastedImage_0.png

When clicking on any of the lead records here, the “country” value contains Brazil - it's just not showing up properly in the leads view.  Also, if you add another filter to the smart list – [where country is “Brazil”], it will only return the following 11 leads (out of the 96 that actually have "country = Brazil" in their lead record - these are the leads that weren't affected by the "change data value" flow action that was just applied; and already had "Brazil" as their country value):

pastedImage_1.png

After contacting support, it was uncovered that our instance was moved to Corona and that they are experiencing a significant lag in showing data properly (as I'm writing this, it's been two and half hours since running the flow action to change the country value of all leads to "Brazil" - and it still looks like the first screenshot above).  This isn't just a display issue.  As noted above, filters/triggers in smart lists/smart campaigns don't have access to this updated data either.  If that's the case, I can’t even imagine the magnitude that this issue is causing in our environment – and how leads are not being processed correctly.

Just wondering - has anyone else experienced issues such as this?

Ajay Awatramani

Tags (1)
19 REPLIES 19
Chris_Saporito
Level 9

Re: For those of you on Corona (part of Project Orion), are you experiencing issues like this?

We've been seeing a ton of lag lately, not sure if we are also on Corona. Adding myself to this thread to follow updates.

Josh_Hill13

I had a giant lag last week. Not aware that we're on Corona or Orion yet...though we should be.

Also you should NEVER run single flow actions because the possibility to find those records and reverse the action is pretty much zero.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Unless you've added them to a My List

Dan Stevens​ thanks for bringing this to our attention. Can't say I've come across anything so far but will now be keeping an eye out as I believe we're on the upgraded architecture.

Dan_Stevens_

Hi Chris - this isn't really focused around any so-called lag or delay in how the platform performs.  The issue here is really focused around any of your smart lists or more importantly, smart campaigns where specific flow steps are expected to happen.  For us, the issue is mainly around any time a lead that had/has a "change data value" occur of any field - while it's reflected in the lead record, the smart lists/campaigns aren't able to filter/trigger off of it.  Let's take the following example:

• We have a series of Engagement Programs built that contain offering-specific content
  • We have an "Add to Engagement Program" trigger campaign in each EP that listens for the following, and then adds those leads that qualify to the EP:

pastedImage_0.png

• The key trigger here is the "Area of Interest" code.  Many of our Marketo programs are aligned to our offerings.  When we see someone engage with content aligned to one of those offerings, we give them this area-of-interest code - in this example, "DB-DC".
  • Leads that acquired that code (through a "change data value" flow step) - as a result of achieving success in a related program - are not being seen (not qualifying) within this smart campaign.  So they're never added.  This is just one example.

This is what I was referring to as the "lag".  While the value may exist in the lead record, the value is not made available to filters/triggers for days/weeks.  At least that's what we found out after doing some further investigating of this issue.  And therefore, this has affected hundreds of our existing trigger campaigns that have been setup to process leads properly (e.g., country lead partition routing; lead lifecycle campaigns; adding leads to EPs; etc.).

While I did get an update this morning that the issue was fixed by re-indexing our DB - and that Marketo engineers are creating a patch for the issues on Corona processing for customer smart lists/smart campaigns - we're still left with all of these smart campaigns that didn't process as they were designed to.

UPDATE (10/20/2016): Unfortunately, the re-indexing of our DB did not fully resolve this.  It has resolved some of the list/smart list issues, but our trigger campaigns still aren't firing when they should be.

Chris_Saporito
Level 9

Thanks for elaborating Dan, I completely understand. We are doing similar things with how we have some of our events set up with alert and task follow-up in Marketo, which is where we are seeing the extreme delays. Anywhere from a couple of hours up to a couple of days. Keep me posted if you don't mind, I'd love to hear about it.

Josh_Hill13

So you are saying the trigger eval queue is broken on Corona.

I haven't noticed anything like that, but then I might not if the lead isn't sent to the main queue.

Dan_Stevens_

Josh, in this case, leads weren't even getting to that point since they weren't qualifying for the campaigns that they should have.  What we're having to do is identify as many trigger campaigns that we can (this is pretty widespread across our 23 workspaces) and temporarily clone/run some of those trigger campaigns as batch campaigns.  Unfortunately, that only works for some of our campaigns - specifically those that don't have timely/dependent trigger campaigns (such as our country lead partition routing ones).  Our lead lifecycle and active engagement programs in each country are the ones that are most impacted by this.  In summary, it's a bit of a mess for us right now as we scramble to fix what we can.  It appears this issue was going on anywhere between 2 weeks to a month.  If engineering would have re-indexed our DB when it was suggested, it wouldn't have been as severe as it is now.

Neil_Robertson6
Level 5

Re: For those of you on Corona (part of Project Orion), are you experiencing issues explained here?

We have definitely seen a lot of lag in the past (mostly down to poor programs or order of execution choices) but since we had our pod moved to new infrastructure it has been blisteringly fast (less customers, more power 😉

NOTE RE: Corona (or to be more precise Marketo's re-branded name for Apache Solr) will and can produce a little lag on UI and database retrieval as the indexes get rebuilt / updated with changes.  

Amy_Lepre
Level 7

Re: For those of you on Corona (part of Project Orion), are you experiencing issues explained here?

We have been seeing similar issues where records are updated, but don't show in any sort of list view - only when you click on the individual lead records. I am not sure what architecture we are on.