Filter based on a minimum amount of emails sent and a period of time longer than 6 months?

mateus_dso
Level 1

Filter based on a minimum amount of emails sent and a period of time longer than 6 months?

I've recently found out "Was Sent E-mail" and "Was Delivered E-mail" are kept for only 3 months.

I was using these criteria on my Smart Lists, but now they're no longer enough... I tried to use "Member of Program", but it doesn't have any Constraints related to date or minimum of times.

What we need to do is detect users that received a minimum number of emails for an extended period of time, and if they didn't open any of these, they would be kept out of programs for at least 6 months before trying to send anything else again. Of course, the only maintainable way to do that is if the Smart list uses values based on time (X months, instead of specific date, which would require constant maintenance), and on minimum number of emails (instead of relying on specific programs or emails).

I tried looking for compatible criteria but couldn't find any that would help us achieve that... Do you have any tips or solutions?

Thanks, you all!

6 REPLIES 6
derelict_wombat
Level 3

Re: Filter based on a minimum amount of emails sent and a period of time longer than 6 months?

Do you have any smart campaigns to track program status' setup  your email programs?  If so you can use those to track the status up to 25 months per the data retention policy. .  

Below is an example of what do for our emails. 

derelict_wombat_1-1713201563395.png

derelict_wombat_3-1713202620674.png

derelict_wombat_4-1713202627446.png

You can then create a smart list look at the behavior around program status's changing within the time period. 
Below is an example I just spun up that is looking at Anyone who has a "Sent" program status in the last 6 months at least 6 times AND in the same time period have not gotten a status changed from "Sent" to Opened". 

derelict_wombat_2-1713202247047.png

You can adjust the smart list logic depending on how you setup your smart campaigns.  

Only caveat is that if your program is sync'd to a Salesforce campaign (and maybe Dynamics?) it will send the status's to the campaign.  Depending on your org that might be an issue.  

mateus_dso
Level 1

Re: Filter based on a minimum amount of emails sent and a period of time longer than 6 months?

Thanks for replying!

Our Marketo is connected to basically nothing, and we have no automations based on contact status/performance. Everything Marketo can base its filters is on its own platform and actions. Our reports are also based only on Batch Campaigns Emails results (sent, open, clicks, member of program, etc)

If I understood correctly, the Smart Campaign must be tied to each batch campaign, right...? There's no way to use a Batch Campaign that bases its flow on all the batch campaigns...?

I thought about using Smart Campaigns, Flows and Static Lists, and actually any contact status or field would also be totally valid since it would not impact any automation or smart list. I'm just not sure on how to automate based on dynamic values (or "any campaign"), nor how to control this so that the contact would be taken out of the list after a specific period of time, all the options seem to be related to specific dates... Specially because we have multiple criteria based on the different amount of emails received, and based on how much time the contact didn't open any e-mail, meaning there are cross criterias (maybe using multiple static lists?)

mateus_dso
Level 1

I'm sorry, I've just realized the "Was not..." (or "Not Value was Changed") and "in past 6 months" would be what I need to work with periods longer than 6 months. I'm trying to write the logic, basing it on static lists or empty fields, and as soon as possible I'll bring a feedback, once again, thanks!

KevinH
Level 2

Would a Score field help here? 

Thinking about: 

User was sent Email = "Number of Email sent" Score goes up +1 

"Number of Email sent" Score threshold is set to X

Score threshold  + Not Opened Email in past 6 months = Suspend Emails for 6 Months

Reset Score to 0

Best,

Kevin

Michael_Florin
Level 10

To counter Marketo's retention policy on email sends, opens and clicks, we usually tend to create a couple of fields like "Last Email Opened Date", "Last Email Clicked Date" ... and populate these date fields with daily (or weekly) recurring Smart Campaigns that look like this:

Michael_Florin_0-1713274417893.png

Once you have these date fields populated, you can use them in Smart List filters or People Performance reports much more comfortably than having to filter on the activity history.

SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

We do this too, with fields like Last Email Opened Week Ending always set to the Saturday of the previous week by running the batch on Sunday.

In fairness though, this doesn’t cover the OP’s thing about the minimum number of sends in a date range, since changes to Last Email Opened Week Ending expire after 90 days.