SOLVED

Re: Explanation of Email Link Performance Data

Go to solution
Anonymous
Not applicable

Explanation of Email Link Performance Data

For the Email Link Performance reports, what do the various columns mean? I'm not entirely clear.

Clicks - Number of links clicked. (Does it double count clicks if a single recipient clicks twice?)
% Clicks - Percentage of all clicks in the email. (If this captures all clicks, why don't the numbers in each set add up to 100%?)
Leads - Numbe of leads who clicked the link. (Okay. This one makes sense.)
% Leads - Percentage of all leads who clicked a link in the email. (Again, shouldn't the numbers add up to 100%?)

0EM50000000SwAt.jpg
Tags (1)
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable

Word of warning to anyone renaming their programs or their e-mails, if the program includes an e-mail that was renamed or the program itself is renamed the e-mail link performance report will break up your data.

So for instance, if you called a batch e-mail program "Hello Word" and an hour after the e-mail was sent you realise that it should have been called "Hello World" and correct the name of the program, the email link performance data for the e-mail will appear under two different headings. The sum of % Clicks, % Leads, Clicks and Leads of those "two programs" should add up too 100%, 100%, and two correct sums for clicks and leads. (Assuming the timespan of the report encompasses the entire lifespan of the e-mail.)

Since the programs already have unique IDs, I think it would be helpful if those were used on the back end in order to aggregate the reports. (Rather than something that a user may want to update.)

Anyway. Justin was able to clarify this once he took a look at the data. Issue resolved.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

https://community.marketo.com/MarketoArticle?id=kA050000000KypICAS

Clicks - total clicks not unique clicks.
% Clicks - you are correct. It is the % ever, so if you are filtering by time period or something else it won't add up to 100%.
Leads - # unique leads that clicked.
% Leads - For all unique leads that clicked links, what % clicked this link.
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If you have RCE, you can get unique clicks and abuse #

I have more on this in my guide
http://www.marketingrockstarguides.com/marketing-rockstars-guide-to-marketo/

or visit slideshare.net/jdavidhill
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks, Justin!

On % Clicks, by "% ever" do you mean the entire lifespan of that e-mail? What if the period of time I defined for the report encompasses the entire period during which users could have clicked. For example, my report captures everything from January 1 to today and the e-mail was sent after January 1st. In that situation, should the numbers add up to 100%?

% Leads, again, if this is for all unique leads that clicked links and the report covers the entire life of the e-mail, shouldn't the number equal 100%?
Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

Yes, it should. If it's not send me an email and I'll look into it. 

jcooperman@marketo.com
Anonymous
Not applicable

Word of warning to anyone renaming their programs or their e-mails, if the program includes an e-mail that was renamed or the program itself is renamed the e-mail link performance report will break up your data.

So for instance, if you called a batch e-mail program "Hello Word" and an hour after the e-mail was sent you realise that it should have been called "Hello World" and correct the name of the program, the email link performance data for the e-mail will appear under two different headings. The sum of % Clicks, % Leads, Clicks and Leads of those "two programs" should add up too 100%, 100%, and two correct sums for clicks and leads. (Assuming the timespan of the report encompasses the entire lifespan of the e-mail.)

Since the programs already have unique IDs, I think it would be helpful if those were used on the back end in order to aggregate the reports. (Rather than something that a user may want to update.)

Anyway. Justin was able to clarify this once he took a look at the data. Issue resolved.
Mark_Dudek1
Level 2

Why doesn't number of leads equal the click-thru number on the email performance report though? This keeps happening in my reports.

Justin_Cooperm2
Level 10

It depends what report you're looking at...

In the Email Performance Report, the clicked % is the clickthrough rate (# leads that clicked any link in the email / # delivered).

(read docs at https://docs.marketo.com/display/DOCS/Email+Performance+Report​)

In the Email Link Performance Report, the metrics are:

Clicks - # total clicks (not unique clicks) on this link.

% Clicks - percentage out of all total clicks on all links within that email, ever.

Leads - # unique leads that clicked on this link.

% Leads - percentage out of all unique leads that clicked on any link within that email, ever.

(read docs at https://docs.marketo.com/display/DOCS/Email+Link+Performance+Report​)

So, does this make sense? If you had two links in an email and one unique lead clicked both, the Email Performance Report would show Clicked: 1 Clicked %: 100% and Email Link Performance Report would show Clicks: 2 Leads: 2 in the totals section (there were 2 total clicks on all links in the email and unique leads clicked on both links).

Mark_Dudek1
Level 2

Ah ok.  That's what I thought was happening, but then I saw a comment that made me think the term "unique" was being used a bit differently here.  Thanks for the clarification.