Re: Engagement Program Cadence Question

Anonymous
Not applicable

Engagement Program Cadence Question

I'm creating a late stage nurture program with 9 pieces of content and I want the cadence of emails to change based on behavior. This is my first time using Engagement programs and I wanted to make sure I do this correctly.  

First, I have a campaign that runs every Friday pulling qualified leads into the first stream. Stream 1 sends out Email 1 every Friday.

Then, I want emails 2 - 9 to send every three weeks. But, if someone clicks on an email I want them to recieve the next email in two weeks. If they continue not to click on the rest of the emails, they should still get sent every three weeks. Is there an easy way to do this?

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Hi Melissa, I'd create another stream that has the same pieces of content as the original stream, but with a different cadence (every 2 weeks instead of every 3, from your example). The trigger to be pulled into that stream is that they've clicked in one of the previous emails. As long as you use the exact same email (no cloning) in the second stream as the first, then you don't need to worry about the fact that they may have already been sent one of the emails -- engagement programs know not to send the same email more than one time.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Dory,

Thanks for your reply. At first I thought this would work too, but I noticed an issue that comes up with this. All the rest of the emails will be sent every 2 weeks too, without considering if they clicked or not.  And if they didn't click I want them to go back to every 3 weeks. 

Does that make sense?

Thanks!
Mel
Dory_Viscoglio
Level 10

Mel, I can think of some convoluted workarounds here, primarily involving adding/removing from lists, but I'm not sure that's the best workaround for this. If I can think of anything spectacular, I'll let you know!
Anonymous
Not applicable

You could run a Smart supressin list as your filter? If they click an email remove them from the supression list if they Dont ( over X amount of days) Add them to it? That way it's always dynamic and you dont have to worry about the SEND list... just the supression list. 

i'm new to marketo here but that seems like it MIGHT work?

Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

Dory's right here.

Stream 1: 1 week
Stream 2: 3 weeks
Stream 3: 2 weeks

Stream 1 starts on Friday and sends email 1

Stream 2: transition rule that if Email 1 is Sent, move everyone to Stream 2
Stream 2 starts 3 weeks after Friday and goes every 3 weeks.

Stream 3: transition rule: if clicks link in email IS ANY, then move to Stream 3
Stream 3 is set to go out every 2 weeks and starts on Week 5.

Now, if you want people in Stream 3 who STOPPED clicking to go back to Stream 2, you need to run a batch campaign that says if Email IS 3-9 and in Stream 3 and Not Was Clicked Link in Email, then push to Stream 2. But this is a bit odd because they might click on Email 4, but how do we know this? Do you want them to go back to Stream 2 if they don't click on Email 3 or 4?

So you may need a couple of smart campaigns running to move people in and out of Streams.

See more on my slides
http://www.slideshare.net/jdavidhill/marketo-engagements-and-drip-nurturing-boston-user-group-dec-10-2013

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the tips on building out the campaigns and streams. I actually built it pretty close to how you advised. 

So yes, I would want leads who haven't clicked on emails 3, 4, etc. to get put back into stream 2. And on the opposite side, would the transition rules of stream 3 still pull in these leads that were added back to stream 2? Like is there a limit to how often leads can transition between streams?

And will the email cadence adjust for each lead? For example, if I have stream 1, sending email 1 on week 1. Then, I have stream 2 sending email 2, on week 4 (if they didnt click). How about new leads that are brought into stream 1 on week 2? Will they also get email 2 on week 4 (if they didnt click)...or will they get email 2 during the next cast, which would be week 7?

It seems like the casts are set days and for continuous emails I might have to set each stream's cadence to weekly, but add in programs to determine wait steps that are based on user behavior.  What do most people do for situations like this?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Josh,

If her lead gets moved back to Stream 2 (let's say after receiving a few emails in Stream 3), does she run the risk of her lead recieving the same emails (or older) if the streams are running the same email programs?

Greg
Josh_Hill13
Level 10 - Champion Alumni

If the Email Asset ID is the same, the Lead will not get the email again. If the Emails were cloned to be separate for each Stream, then it's possible to get the same asset again if the Lead did not previously receive that Asset ID.

Sometimes I do this purposely with the expectation the Lead will remain in the Stream the whole time.