SOLVED

Emoji UTF Marketo Issue

Go to solution
anonymous731
Level 1

Emoji UTF Marketo Issue

I have been using the UTF 8 code hack to get emojis to show up in my email subject lines while using Marketo Engage. However, there have been cases where the code just will not work. Has anyone noticed that when Marketo flags your subject line as "Your subject line may be too long" the code stops working? If I paste the code in a blank subject line then it renders the emoji on a test, but when I add in a "too long" subject line the code will appear in the email versus the emoji itself. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Emoji UTF Marketo Issue

(Not so much a “UTF-8 hack“ as a “Q-encoding hack”.)

What is the actual Subject line you’re using? Chances are it isn’t the length but that you have a character in the Subject line that’s non-ASCII, which also needs to be manually Q-encoded. Once you Q-encode an emoji yourself you need to Q-encode other chars as well — you shift into “manual encoding mode” essentially.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
SanfordWhiteman
Level 10 - Community Moderator

Re: Emoji UTF Marketo Issue

(Not so much a “UTF-8 hack“ as a “Q-encoding hack”.)

What is the actual Subject line you’re using? Chances are it isn’t the length but that you have a character in the Subject line that’s non-ASCII, which also needs to be manually Q-encoded. Once you Q-encode an emoji yourself you need to Q-encode other chars as well — you shift into “manual encoding mode” essentially.